Godot 3.1 release date

EbenezerEbenezer Posts: 50Member
edited January 19 in Forum Chat

When is Godot 3.1 stable release date?

Answers

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,087Admin
    Answer ✓

It's in beta right now, it'll be released when it's ready, hopeful target is the end of the month, however that might be a bit optimistic.

• EbenezerEbenezer Posts: 50Member

Thanks alot.

Please how come you Megalomaniak always answer all my questions? How do you see questions to answer always?

I've just been checking on the forums at the same/right moments, I guess.

Thanks. But let me tell you something. You are the only one who have answered all my questions in this community. Why do other people not answer me? >

Answer ✓

Thanks, you have helped me alot.

Answer ✓

Probably a matter of time.

Answer ✓

@Megalomaniak said:

@Megalomaniak said:

@Megalomaniak said:

You are right.... Probably a matter of time.

@Megalomaniak said:

I held Godot is going to come out in early February. But it is not out yet. When is the actual release date?

• wombatstampedewombatstampede Posts: 72Member
    Answer ✓

@Ebenezer said:
    I held Godot is going to come out in early February. But it is not out yet. When is the actual release date?

Hopefully it will be released when it is ready.

Honestly, I still see a lot of errors in Godot 3.1(beta3) & stability issues (also in the editor). And they said there'll be at least a "release candiate" in the line before release. So my guess it'll be a week at the least until release. (And that would be with still a lot of bugs unfixed)

Personally, I hope that they keep the pace and eliminate as much errors as possible until release (especially also for the GLES2 part and the Export Templates (android)) and that they get the GLES2 3D performance somewhat close to Godot 2.x. If this still takes 1 or 2 months, then ok.

To all contributors: Thumbs up! Thank you! And keep up the good work! ;-)

Read more about the 3.1 in the beta3 news post:
    https://godotengine.org/article/dev-snapshot-godot-3-1-beta-3

@wombatstampede. Thanks. you are right, they should remove as much bugs as possible before Godot 3.1 release.

• Ace DragonAce Dragon Posts: 238Member
    edited February 3

The original plan was to get 3.1 out at the end of January, but all of the issues that people were reporting ensured it wouldn't be the case.

It's FOSS, any suggested deadline is just that, a suggestion. Keep in mind that Blender releases are often delayed as well so more bugs can be fixed. The Godot team is not obligated to release by a certain date to please investors as is the case with commercial vendors.

• BinaryOrangeBinaryOrange Posts: 235Member

I would much rather have the release be a little later than anticipated, rather than a rushed product that has tons of bugs/crashes that do nothing more than cause me to pull my hair out. :)

For example, I recently discovered that I had purchased GMS 2 a while back, and decided I may as well make the investment worth it. Several crashes later, and bugs that make me want to keep a fly swatter handy, and I quickly realized that it wasn't meant to be.

I also tried UE4 out again recently, but again, crashes, bugs that fly swatters ultimately have no effect on, and very little support when it comes to learning C++ - very irritating. And Epic are also known for rushing updates out that do nothing but break everything in a project.

Kind of got off track of my original point, which was this - what Ace Dragon says is correct, the Godot team are in no obligated to rush updates out because of investors who want more $$$, instead of quality products.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,049Admin

@BinaryOrange said:
    I would much rather have the release be a little later than anticipated, rather than a rushed product that has tons of bugs/crashes that do nothing more than cause me to pull my hair out. :)

I agree. I’d much rather wait a bit longer than expected for a more stable release than have a cool piece of software full of cutting edge features, but using it is like walking on a minefield of bugs.

That said, I wouldn’t be complaining if Godot had smaller, slightly more often releases with fewer new features inbetween releases so there wouldn’t be quite as long of a wait when you are waiting for a specific few things.

I think the plan is for RC1 to be out sometime within a couple weeks, if this tweet by Reduz is anything to go by. Hopefully some more bugs can be squashed between then and the full release.

For example, I recently discovered that I had purchased GMS 2 a while back, and decided I may as well make the investment worth it. Several crashes later, and bugs that make me want to keep a fly swatter handy, and I quickly realized that it wasn't meant to be.

I also tried UE4 out again recently, but again, crashes, bugs that fly swatters ultimately have no effect on, and very little support when it comes to learning C++ - very irritating. And Epic are also known for rushing updates out that do nothing but break everything in a project.

That stinks that it turned out that way with GMS 2 and UE4.

Not to go on a side tangent, and I’ll make it short, but I had the exact same experience regarding C++ and UE4 awhile back. Practically everything I could find was blueprints based and not C++, which is very frustrating when you just want to use C++. I eventually bought a Udemy course focused on the C++ side of things and sorta learned some of the API, but I eventually decided to leave it for another time and move on.

@wombatstampede said:
    To all contributors: Thumbs up! Thank you! And keep up the good work! ;-)

I second this.
    Huge thanks to everyone who has worked on Godot, and continues to work on Godot! :smile:

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file