FPS Sci-fi game W.I.P(unnamed)

SchusterSchuster Posts: 326Member
edited December 2018 in Projects

Hello,
I'm working on the fps sci-fi game...it's a prototype in the early stages of development.

Comments

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,043Admin

Looks great!

• SchusterSchuster Posts: 326Member
    edited December 2018

Thanks ,@TwistedTwigleg
    ....hands and weapon are placeholders...level will be more detailed and textures are missing...yet....only AO maps.
    I'm working on weapon and hands + animations :)

edited December 2018

wip...hands and weapon
    hands-wip.png
    weapon-wip-08.png
    weapon-wip-05.png
    weapon-wip-07.png
    ....I really enjoy Blender 2.80 beta

• aztecsenseiaztecsensei Posts: 77Member

hey! looks promising.
    your project has this bladerunner vibe on it.

• n4rwaln4rwal Posts: 2Member
    edited December 2018

looks good :) if u need some help with 3d assets, let me know :D

Cool! It's neat to see how you are handling the first person arms!

Out of curiosity, are you planning on making the entire body for the player, or just the parts the player can see? I am curious because I debated making a full body when I worked on the FPS tutorial, but I couldn't find a great way to make the camera work with a fully 3D modeled character.

Regardless, it looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing it progress :smile:

@aztecsensei said:
    hey! looks promising.
    your project has this bladerunner vibe on it.

Thanks....bladerunner is a legendary game.

@n4rwal said:

Yes if you want to create something...you can model like a sci-fi hovercraft but not for human crew but for smaller running metal attack drones which we will also create .... when the level, the gun and the hands are ready to test some action.....my idea is that the hovercraft will land near the bridge where the landing zone will be and the smaller drones will start attacking the player.
    ....the look will be a flat color art style so I will probably not use textures only nice ao maps and some normal maps, the lighting and the atmosphere will be decisive.
    ....if you have a wip screenshot or concept so give it here...Thank you.

@TwistedTwigleg said:
    Cool! It's neat to see how you are handling the first person arms!

Out of curiosity, are you planning on making the entire body for the player, or just the parts the player can see? I am curious because I debated making a full body when I worked on the FPS tutorial, but I couldn't find a great way to make the camera work with a fully 3D modeled character.

Regardless, it looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing it progress :smile:

Thanks, plan is only hands for simplicity and performance...I like Crysis fps system how they have made guns' movements while walking and running..etc.
    .....I will reduce the viewing angle up and down so that the shoes could not be seen if there were any :) but also I need some sort of shadow of the body/figure...maybe flat plane silhouette of body?...I have to look at how they did it in older games.

weapon ... today's work
    weapon-wip-10.png

edited January 1

...today I added a grenade launcher, scaling of the targeting cross while moving/walking and flashes from the gun rifle...
    .....scaling of the cross will be connected with less accuracy of the shooting...apparently by rotation of the ray node.

• ChimaereJadeChimaereJade Posts: 21Member

As others said - this looks really promising! "Blade Runner" is something I really love. Do you plan to make it sci-fi this way or more in an "classic" one? :)

• n4rwaln4rwal Posts: 2Member

@Schuster said:

@n4rwal said:

Yes if you want to create something...you can model like a sci-fi hovercraft but not for human crew but for smaller running metal attack drones which we will also create .... when the level, the gun and the hands are ready to test some action.....my idea is that the hovercraft will land near the bridge where the landing zone will be and the smaller drones will start attacking the player.
    ....the look will be a flat color art style so I will probably not use textures only nice ao maps and some normal maps, the lighting and the atmosphere will be decisive.
    ....if you have a wip screenshot or concept so give it here...Thank you.

working on..

@ChimaereJade Thanks,...sci-fi definitely but not yet determined ... it's in the beginning ...I need to think more about the whole design concept...we will create a test events/actions at this level...it should be in the dark sci-fi style...yes mix of Blade Runner and Doom3.

@n4rwal Thanks, I'm going to give you a concept but it does not have to be exactly according to this is just the overall look....do it according to yourself.
    dron-conc-01.jpg

this is going to be just a demo,right?
    can you share the polycount of the models?
    are u planning to add some biped enemies besides the drones?
    :o

...added a smoke trail to the grenade launcher and the animated door
    FPS-grenade-launcher-test-07.gif

@aztecsensei said:

This is still a testing level but plan is ,no more than five levels...this should be the first level....."Bridge level "
    ....the weapon has so far(not yet finished) 2476 tris...buildings and other assets have so far (since i will still add another ,landing zone...for example) .....over 7000 tris.
    ....enemies will be robots and drones but some enemies will be half man and half robot...some sort of a mutated androids :o ...very mutated B)
    .....I want them to have a android- horror style :) .... I'm looking forward to designing those mutants....but they will need motion capture data .... if i get some with a good license.

....some tests for walls avoidance

this is looking > @Schuster said:

@aztecsensei said:

This is still a testing level but plan is ,no more than five levels...this should be the first level....."Bridge level "
    ....the weapon has so far(not yet finished) 2476 tris...buildings and other assets have so far (since i will still add another ,landing zone...for example) .....over 7000 tris.
    ....enemies will be robots and drones but some enemies will be half man and half robot...some sort of a mutated androids :o ...very mutated B)
    .....I want them to have a android- horror style :) .... I'm looking forward to designing those mutants....but they will need motion capture data .... if i get some with a good license.

those are nice numbers,cant wait to play it.
    this is gonna be great!
    :)

• EbenezerEbenezer Posts: 50Member
    edited January 19

Nice project but please, is this project available for download?

Nice game, I am also thinking of creating a game similar to that. But I am still learning godot

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,086Admin

Thanks for the tutorial. I have already saw it online before.

@TwistedTwigleg, Thanks for the FPS game tutorial you posted online.

@Ebenezer said:
    @TwistedTwigleg, Thanks for the FPS game tutorial you posted online.

No problem, hopefully it is helpful.

One day I’ll redo the FPS tutorial, as I’d like to make it more generic and flexible, as well as adding new things. Not to mention now I realize I could do things way better now, as I have learned quite a bit since then.

This is looking great @Schuster ! :smile:
    The grenade launcher looks really cool and the wall avoidance looks great!

Is the wall avoidance for AI enemies? I’ve always find working on AI to be complicated, so I’ve stayed away from adding AI in most of my games. That said, I’ve been curious to know how enemy AI is done in FPS games as honestly I have no ideal how to go about it.

If the wall avoidance is not for AI, then I can confidently say I look forward to seeing what it is for regardless.

@Ebenezer Thanks, I'm still learning too....mainly writing scripts and level design,etc.
    I proceeded just according to the TwistedTwigleg's tutorial so the core of fps script for this project is according to the tutorial but you need to customize it according to your project.
    ....this project may just remain as a demo so if I finish it :) , I will release it as a MIT licensed demo.

edited January 22

@TwistedTwigleg Thanks,....yes, wall avoidance is intended for a simple enemy guards robots with path follow or simple waypoints and with area like attack zone....an advantage would be not have navmesh for this simple bots.
    Yes , AI is very complicated...there is a interesting project with AI agents
    deepmind.com/blog/capture-the-flag/
    .....This is my first try for AI agents....so we will see :) ....but probably find out from these projects are not for me and start working on simpler because I'm actually attract more projects like Myst, etc. visually artistically oriented exploration puzzle adventures....as this fps,rpg,etc genres is for mainly dev teams.
    I've been thinking more about it because art, fantasy interactive worlds is actually what I want to create.
    ....so I would like to finish this project at least as a demo ,because you are learning every project and with each project....even if you are incomplete, you are improving.
    ....there is some update...pursue shooting enemy
    enemy-test-07.gif

@Schuster said:
    @TwistedTwigleg Thanks,....yes, wall avoidance is intended for a simple enemy guards robots with path follow or simple waypoints and with area like attack zone....an advantage would be not have navmesh for this simple bots.

Nice! Sounds interesting and a good way to get around having to use a navmesh.

Yes , AI is very complicated...there is a interesting project with AI agents
    deepmind.com/blog/capture-the-flag/

Thanks for the link. Very cool, though I shutter at the massive amount of code and foresight that would go into a project like that :lol:

.....This is my first try for AI agents....so we will see :) ....but probably find out from these projects are not for me and start working on simpler because I'm actually attract more projects like Myst, etc. visually artistically oriented exploration puzzle adventures....as this fps,rpg,etc genres is for mainly dev teams.
    I've been thinking more about it because art, fantasy interactive worlds is actually what I want to create.

That sounds really cool and I totally get what you are saying. Certain game genres can be really time consuming and while they can be fun, you cannot really know whether you like working with a certain genre until you’ve given it a try.

I wish you the best of luck with both this project, and future projects :smile:

....so I would like to finish this project at least as a demo ,because you are learning every project and with each project....even if you are incomplete, you are improving.

So true!
    I have to always keep this in mind, especially when I shelve a project. Even though it can be disappointing, you are always learning and improving with each and every project.

....there is some update...pursue shooting enemy
    enemy-test-07.gif

Wow! That looks great!

edited January 23

@TwistedTwigleg Thanks, I created simple corridor :)
    enemy-test-14.gif

• Ace DragonAce Dragon Posts: 232Member

This is starting to look pretty good, hope you can flesh this out into a full game.

The mechanics look polished and the FPS looks rather decent.