No armature hierarchy ?

MagicLordMagicLord Posts: 578Unconfirmed

Hi there,

I was trying to parent in the editor a gun object to a armature hand.

Unfortunately Godot is unable to display armature hierarchy :o

Should i create a new issue on GitHub ?

Answers

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 892Admin
    Answer ✓

You can use the BoneAttachment node. I tried to use it a couple times, but I found it didn't work the way my project needed it to, but maybe it will work for your project?

I think I remember seeing that in Godot 3.1 there is a way to make bones have a node hierarchy like in Unity, if I recall correctly it was needed for the IK system, but I could be miss-remembering.

• MagicLordMagicLord Posts: 578Unconfirmed
    edited August 29

You should be able to drag and drop objects to armature hierarchy to automatically attach them.

We should also be able to visualize in Godot the whole armature hierarchy, it will become a must need feature to make characters advanced plugins such as customizable characters.

I made a request on Godot Github.
    https://github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/21574

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 892Admin

We should also be able to visualize in Godot the whole armature hierarchy, it will become a must need feature to make characters advanced plugins such as customizable characters.

I totally agree. It is one of the things in Unity I really miss. It also makes adding things like multiple weapons types (for example: multiple swords that all use the same animations) way easier.

• MagicLordMagicLord Posts: 578Unconfirmed

@TwistedTwigleg said:

I totally agree. It is one of the things in Unity I really miss. It also makes adding things like multiple weapons types (for example: multiple swords that all use the same animations) way easier.

Yes, i want to attach all weapons to armature, position and rotate them to the appropriate position, and have a weapons script that will display the selected weapon and hide the other weapons, that script also could select and play the specific animation for the selected visible weapon.

Perhaps with code we can attach to armature as we want ( i must check it ) , but to get the weapon to the right position and rotations with code values will be lot of fail and retry, while it's so much easy when it's possible to adjust it visually in the editor.