Godot Enet multiplayer vulnerability?

vspinvspin Posts: 2Member

Recently, I noticed that if I set my maximum number of peers that could connect to my Enet host, I would have to deal with hackers filling up all my connections forbidding anyone from joining the game. So, I came up with an idea of timestamping connections, and expiring/disconnect the connections on the host if they hadn't authenticated fast enough. However, I couldn't figure out a way of disconnecting peers on the host. Later, I found this:

https://github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/16452

If I understand correctly, hackers can fill up the connections to my games, and I have no way of disconnecting them..? Is there something I could do?

Tagged:

Tags :

Answers

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,049Admin
    Answer ✓

It seems the issue has been fixed for Godot 3.1. If you are using Godot 3.0, I would suggest to continue development and not worry about the inability to disconnect users and then add disconnecting to your game when Godot 3.1 is released.

I am not sure when Godot 3.1 is coming out, but I imagine there will be at least an alpha release before the end of the year, so the wait for Godot 3.1 should not be too long.

If I understand correctly, hackers can fill up the connections to my games, and I have no way of disconnecting them..? Is there something I could do?

Technically speaking, no there is nothing you can do about it in Godot 3.0, because there is no way to force a disconnect.

There are ways you could reduce the damage though. One way would be flagging/marking bad connections, and ignoring anything and everything sent by a flagged/marked connection, though this method would generate a bit of a performance overhead.

If you can, I would suggest waiting for Godot 3.1 instead of trying to make/find a workaround. If you are not planning to release your project using Godot 3.0, or do not have a upcoming deadline, then you can probably just make a note (so you do not forgot to add disconnecting once Godot 3.1 is out) and keep working on the game like normal.

I think Godot 3.0 code is more or less compatible with Godot 3.1, so at most you should only have to change a few things when you migrate the project over, and then you can add disconnecting using the newly added ability to disconnect users.

• vspinvspin Posts: 2Member

Thank you for your insightful reply.