RandomMomentania Launch

2»

Comments

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,000Admin

@aztecsensei said:
    hello again!
    too bad what happened with your project! :/
    ive heard that armory engine had problems with patreon too.
    it hurt me to say this (i dont like 2d) but i still believe that 2d tutorials are the way to go to attract godot patreons,ya know the step by step, cool gameplay,classic mechanic from popular videogames ,tricks and of course the very ,very basics of gdscript.
    i noticed that a lot of godot users are noobs and dont care much for 3d stuff right know. like the 3d scares them or sth.
    spend some time watching what the kids are doing, look how gdquest and Lesko are doing it, pick a popular series such as megaman,sonic,castlevania or the most recent indie game and watch how your followers grow baby.
    3d stuff is great but theres a lot of people that they dont know what they doing.
    you already have the TALENT man,now you have to become POPULAR.
    well thats what i would do if id wish to become succesful on a project like this.
    Best of Luck.

btw, youtube is a essential tool to succed.dont foget it.
    :D

Thanks @aztecsensei!

As far as Patreon goes, I think it's just a mixed bag that unfortunately leaves creators on Patreon baring the brunt of the damage. It is a shame, as Patreon really spends a lot of time advertising themselves and pulling talented people in, but they do not really mention the problems their platform has that ultimately can devastate a creator's ability to work there. But I digress!

I would agree that 2D seems to get more attention overall. Godot's 2D side is extremely mature, easy to use, and fairly approachable for beginners and advance users alike. There are tons of things to learn with 2D and thanks to the more accessible and less daunting nature of 2D (for example, no need to learn how to use something like Blender), I think it pulls a lot of people wanting to make games. I'm really happy that people like GDQuest are doing well with 2D and Godot.

However, for me, I have several things standing against me doing 2D tutorials primarily.

One big issue is that my 2D art skills are really sub-par at best, and terrible at worse. One of the only reasons I know so much about 3D games is simply because I found I didn't really have the artistic skill to work on 2D ones :lol: (Granted, with practice that could change. I just need to find the time for it )

Another issue I have with making 2D tutorials is that there are already a ton of them. To stand out in such a huge crowd, I need something unique that I can provide. Right now, I do not think I have anything special that I can contribute on the 2D side of things. I do not want to feel like I'm wasting others time by making another 2D platformer tutorial, especially since I have nothing new to bring that others have not already covered.

The last issue I have with making 2D tutorials primarily is simply that I like making 3D games! I have nothing against 2D games, but anymore I find I like the complexities that 3D brings. To me it feels more rewarding to find solutions in 3D than it does in 2D.

(Not that I have anything against 2D tutorials, or anyone that makes them! I just do not feel it is right for me to shift my primary focus towards 2D tutorials, at least not right now)

All of that said, thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it and I do not plan on stopping trying to push myself and make great tutorials.

Hopefully I can get another tutorial out this year, as I have a cool Voxel terrain tutorial project finished, I just need to find the time to write the tutorial :smile:

I have some cool plans for RandomMomentania in the new year and I'm excited to share it soon! I think it will help push me forward, and allow me to make tutorials and other projects :smile:

Thanks again, I really appreciate it! :smile:

• aztecsenseiaztecsensei Posts: 77Member

yea ,i kinda knew u love 3d and yes pixels is a totally diferent beast to get into.
    btw, do you have some gameproject besides the tuts? geez,u can make any game u want!

@aztecsensei said:
    yea ,i kinda knew u love 3d and yes pixels is a totally diferent beast to get into.

3D is just my preferred dimension, as I just never could get the 2D asset creation process down. If I was a better 2D artist, perhaps thing would be different, but I'd have to practice a lot. I do really appreciate the advice though!

I have some exciting stuff planned for RandomMomentania in 2019. It is going to be a noticeable change, but I think it's going to work out nicely and hopefully I'll be able to share more about it soon!

If all goes well, I'll have be able to announce the change(s) sometime this week :sunglasses:

btw, do you have some gameproject besides the tuts? geez,u can make any game u want!

I have some game projects in the works! Unfortunately not much Godot related outside of tutorials, but maybe that will change in the future!

I have a mobile focused game I am working on actively that I cannot share any more details on just yet. I'm aiming for that project to be in a playable state by March, but we'll see how things go. I hope to be able to share more about it by the end of February, I just need to get it farther along first.

As far as games I'm working on that I can share, in some of my spare time I have been working with Unity and remaking a fan game I made a couple years ago. It's been nice to work on something a little less serious, and it's also given me a chance to relearn a few things.

As for making any game, I'm still learning and most of the time I'm just stumbling along like everyone else. I appreciate the compliment though!

Side note: How are your projects coming along? Anything new with the JRPG project?

Hey guys!

It's been awhile since I have posted about a new tutorial here. I have been hard at work fixing and changing things now that I'm no longer using Patreon, which has slowed tutorial production down quite a bit.

But I'm happy to say that almost everything is settled now, and I have a new tutorial to share. If anyone is looking to create voxel terrain, like in Minecraft, with Godot, I just released part 1 of my voxel terrain tutorial series on RandomMomentania!

You can find the tutorial here. Let me know what you guys think!
    Part 2 should be out in a week or so. :sunglasses:

I also have news to share regarding RandomMomentania's new direction in 2019! I just need to find the time to make a update post :lol: More details on that coming soon.

I'm excited to keep creating tutorials in 2019 and I have cool new things planned for the future.
    I hope you guys enjoy the tutorial! :smile:

Hey guys!

I just wanted to quickly let you guys know that part 2 of the Voxel terrain tutorial is out now! You can find the tutorial here. This part shows how to interact with the Voxel terrain system built in part 1, move around the scene while it is running, and make some rigidbody spheres to collide with the terrain.

Also, I have made a update post explaining the new direction RandomMomentania is taking in 2019. You can read it here if you want. The basics is that I’m focusing on making games primarily as a way to support RandomMomentania, with tutorials still coming out, just probably not quite as often.

I’m working hard on making the best games I can. Hopefully I’ll be able to share more about the games I have been working on soon!

Hope you guys have a great weekend! :smile:

Also, on a complete and total aside, I learned a interesting Wordpress thing today. Tags you add to your WordPress posts help search engines like Google categorize and tag your posts. I thought tags on a Wordpress site only applied to the Wordpress site, but nope!

By adding a bunch of tags to my tutorials, both past and present, they now come up when searching in Google, while before they didn’t appear at all.

So, if you have a Wordpress site, add tags if you want search engines like Google to return your website in search results!

• aztecsenseiaztecsensei Posts: 77Member

@TwistedTwigleg said:

@aztecsensei said:

3D is just my preferred dimension, as I just never could get the 2D asset creation process down. If I was a better 2D artist, perhaps thing would be different, but I'd have to practice a lot. I do really appreciate the advice though!

I have some exciting stuff planned for RandomMomentania in 2019. It is going to be a noticeable change, but I think it's going to work out nicely and hopefully I'll be able to share more about it soon!

If all goes well, I'll have be able to announce the change(s) sometime this week :sunglasses:

I have some game projects in the works! Unfortunately not much Godot related outside of tutorials, but maybe that will change in the future!

I have a mobile focused game I am working on actively that I cannot share any more details on just yet. I'm aiming for that project to be in a playable state by March, but we'll see how things go. I hope to be able to share more about it by the end of February, I just need to get it farther along first.

As far as games I'm working on that I can share, in some of my spare time I have been working with Unity and remaking a fan game I made a couple years ago. It's been nice to work on something a little less serious, and it's also given me a chance to relearn a few things.

As for making any game, I'm still learning and most of the time I'm just stumbling along like everyone else. I appreciate the compliment though!

oh i see you love to teach game dev! thats cool!.
    i heard unity is pretty good with 3d games, hopefully godot would as good as unity in the 3d department some day.

Side note: How are your projects coming along? Anything new with the JRPG project?

unfortunately life got busy, i have to pause it for the time being.
    i hope to continue later.i will try to keep practicing with blender so i dont get rusty.
    thank you for asking about it.
    :)

@aztecsensei said:
    oh i see you love to teach game dev! thats cool!.
    i heard unity is pretty good with 3d games, hopefully godot would as good as unity in the 3d department some day.

Thanks!

As for Unity and Godot, Godot is catching up rapidly. For the most part, I'd say one of the biggest things holding Godot's 3D side back, at least for me personally, is just performance. Godot is plenty fast enough for most desktops, but on mobile it is just a tad too slow, though I have not tested the new OpenGL 2 renderer yet on mobile, so maybe it is not as much of an issue now.

unfortunately life got busy, i have to pause it for the time being.
    i hope to continue later.i will try to keep practicing with blender so i dont get rusty.
    thank you for asking about it.
    :)

Ah, I totally get that. That is a good idea to keep practicing, I've not practiced during breaks and have always found in it harder to pick it back up afterwards.

Hopefully things will work out :smile: