RandomMomentania Launch

TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,000Admin

Hey everyone!

After months of working in secret, I can finally share with you guys what I have been working on: I'm launching a game development tutorial website! You can find it here: RandomMomentania.com

I want to try and cover both basic and advance subjects in my tutorials, as I feel there are lots of tutorials showing the basics, but not nearly as many tutorials showing the more advanced parts of game development. I plan to make the game development tutorial website I wish I had when I started making games.

For now, I am using Godot as the primary game engine. The plan is to write lots of Godot tutorials, primarily in 3D, though I do have some 2D/GUI/Other Godot tutorials planned, too! I also plan on writing tutorials for other open-source/free/inexpensive software like Blender, ArmoryPaint, Gimp, and more.

Go check it out, and please let me know what you guys think! I'd love to hear any feedback you guys might have!

You can also help support RandomMomentania on Patreon if you want, which will give you access to Patreon only tutorials :smile:

Tagged:

Tags :

Comments

• aztecsenseiaztecsensei Posts: 77Member

great news! for the beginners programmers out there.good to see you getting more serious about sharing your wisdom with the poor mortals.:)
    i think there are important subjects that no one have touched it yet,such as:

• third person character controller (with props interaction)
      -basic melee A.I ( zombies,monters,etc)
      -basic A.I for shooter enemies(terrorist,soldiers)

i think those would be a god send ,but i think they look pretty difficult to make too! so it wouldnt be much easier to translate "unity 3d tutorials " to godot? i think one guy was translating the 3d adventure game tutorial but he never came back. :(
    anyway,its great to count with your help ,i hope your website gets lots of atention.
    wish you the best,man.

btw, dont forget to announce it on "FACEBOOK" where a huge chunk of godot comunity is.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,000Admin

Thanks @aztecsensei!

I think there are important subjects that no one have touched it yet,such as:
    * third person character controller (with props interaction)

I’ll definitely add this to my tutorial TODO list! I have a few prototypes I can use to get a rough prototype game going, then all I’ll need to do is refine it until it’s tutorial worthy.

I’ll see about working on this after I have some of the tutorials I already have going finished :smile:

Out of curiosity, when you say props interaction, what do you mean? Likes levers, switches, and buttons? Dialog/Sign interaction? I am just curious because I want to better tailor the tutorial to what you have in mind so it’s as helpful to everyone as possible.

• basic melee A.I

I can probably do this... Pathfinding will be the hardest part I think, but for really simple/dumb A.I like zombies, it should not be too hard. I’ll add it to my TODO list.

• basic A.I for shooter enemies

I’m not 100% sure on how to go about this one, but if/when I feel more confident and have an idea on how to go about it, I’ll see about giving it a try!

so it wouldn’t be much easier to translate “unity 3D tutorials” to godot?

Maybe, but I think legally I’d run into some issues, since I have a Patreon account. I could watch/use the tutorials to get ideas though!

btw, don’t forget to announce it on “FACEBOOK” where a huge chunk of godot community is.

I probably should, but I logged off facebook awhile back (for various reasons) and I’m not part of the Godot Facebook community/group, unfortunately :disappointed:

You still need to be verified before you can post to the Godot community, right? So even if I make a new Facebook account (specifically for RandomMomentania) I couldn’t post until I’m verified... Not a huge issue I suppose. I’ll see about making a Facebook account for RandomMomentania soon!

If anyone wants to post about RandomMomentania on Facebook before then, I’d greatly appreciate it! But please do not feel pressured to post! If someone wants to, great, but I do not want anyone to feel like they have to post just because I do not have a Facebook account setup.

Thanks again aztecsensei! I really appreciate the the suggestions and kind words!

• emo10001emo10001 Posts: 121Member

This is execellent! There certainly can't be TOO much knowledge out there. I look forward to seeing what you teach us. I agree posting this on the Facebook group help a great deal.

btw, RandomMomentania.com seems to be down?

-emo

edited August 2018

Thanks @emo10001! I’ll definitely post to the Facebook group soon, probably over the weekend.

Thanks for letting me know about the site being down. I’m currently trying to figure out why it’s down and will hopefully have a fix soon. Sadly I know little about web servers, so this is all new and unexpected :sweat_smile:

I’ll post here when everything is fixed!

EDIT: Okay, I have no idea what happened, but it’s back up... for now at least! I think it was down due to a server restart, or perhaps someone other website slowed/crashed the shared server I am using. Sorry for the inconvenience!

I’m glad whatever the problem was fixed itself and everything is back up. I was kinda freaking out because I had no idea what was causing the issue, and my web/server knowledge is pretty limited :lol: I guess this is extra motivation to learn more about how servers work so this (hopefully) does not happen again!

when you say props interaction, what do you mean? Likes levers, switches, and buttons? Dialog/Sign interaction?

:D well actually i was thinking grabing and throwing objects(playing with physics in third person view) but what you mentioned is much advance stuff. :| much work for you! :s

basic A.I for shooter enemies

I’m not 100% sure on how to go about this one, but if/when I feel more confident and have an idea on how to go about it, I’ll see about giving it a try!

yea, it looks complicated ,ya know there were some guys who pulled this up on the old godot 2

https://godotdevelopers.org/forum/discussion/18653/arcade-inspired-fps
    this guy mentioned he would realease it for free maybe he will share it if we ask him? o:)

and there is another project demo:https://dissensiondev.itch.io/project-raspidarasilo-4
    but again for godot2 maybe you can take some inspiration,old godot has cool stuff but outdated.

this guy has cool stuff too : https://github.com/khairul169

I probably should, but I logged off facebook awhile back (for various reasons) and I’m not part of the Godot Facebook community/group, unfortunately

i forgot to mention that facebook is mostly 2d games Territory so the reception might be a bit cold.
    :(
    actually i think the vast mayority of godot community are into the 2d side while the 3d stuff is just the weird thing that sits in the corner. :'(

i might be wrong though.

:D

@aztecsensei said:
    :D well actually i was thinking grabing and throwing objects(playing with physics in third person view) but what you mentioned is much advance stuff. :| much work for you! :s

No worries! I've done physics grabbing and throwing in first person for the FPS tutorial, so in theory it should not be that hard for third person (granted things never are as easy as they seem :lol: )

I may play around with intractable dialog/text/stuff too, just for fun! The very first Godot game I made in Godot 2 was entirely text based (a chose your own adventure) so I can probably use that help reduce the time it takes.

Once I start working on the third person character tutorial, I'll start with getting physics interaction, and then dialog/others :smile:

yea, it looks complicated ,ya know there were some guys who pulled this up on the old godot 2

Neat! Thanks for all the links! I'll take a look and see if I can learn/reverse-engineer something for a future tutorial (sadly it'll probably have to wait on the back burner for awhile due to the complexities of A.I)

i forgot to mention that facebook is mostly 2d games Territory so the reception might be a bit cold.
    :(

I posted this afternoon, and the reception was so-so. I don't blame anyone though, since I am new face there. (Side note: Huge thanks for the welcome!)

actually i think the vast mayority of godot community are into the 2d side while the 3d stuff is just the weird thing that sits in the corner. :'(

So true. Hopefully that will change in the future! Godot's 3D side has a huge amount of potential. :smile:

Thanks again for the links, the welcome, and suggestions!

• emo10001emo10001 Posts: 121Member
    edited August 2018

@aztecsensei said:

I don't know about the majority, but my main focus will be 3D. I have to think that number is going to grow now that Godot is beginning to be seen as a real alternative to Unity.

Just my 2cp :smile:

-emo

Hey guys!

I just released a new free tutorial on RandomMomentania: A touch screen joystick tutorial!

I also posted a sneak peek of an upcoming tutorial series and more! You can find all of the details on the latest update post!

( @ari484 If you are still looking for how to make a touch screen joystick in GDScript, the new free tutorial shows how to do exactly that :smile: )

• Ace DragonAce Dragon Posts: 223Member

actually i think the vast mayority of godot community are into the 2d side while the 3d stuff is just the weird thing that sits in the corner.

I agree with Emo, the use of Godot for 3D games should increase because that area has seen some major improvements for 3.0 (with more big ones for 3.1).

You can look up YouTube videos for RivenTales and Infinishooter (two high quality games using the 3D mode). It would make sense to have more learning content for 3D (but 2D users wouldn't be completely out since UI building and scripting concepts are largely shared). I'm not saying 2D learning content is a bad thing, just that it's probably the majority of such content as of now.

• keltwookiekeltwookie Posts: 213Member

@TwistedTwigleg

I wish you all the best for your website and thanks to offering us the possibility to better understand how 3D works in games.
    Congrats sir !

Thanks @keltwookie! :)

another great tutorial! ;)
    keep it up.

Thanks @aztecsensei! :smile:

• BinaryOrangeBinaryOrange Posts: 234Member

Thanks for sharing your website @TwistedTwigleg, I will definitely be utilizing it!

Of course you knew this already, but thought I'd say it again for good measure. :smiley:

Thanks @BinaryOrange! I hope the tutorials will be helpful :smiley:

• SchusterSchuster Posts: 322Member

Great stuff and more 3d tutorials is always welcome...Thanks for your hard work.
    I look forward to interesting tutorials.

Thanks @Schuster!

• MagicLordMagicLord Posts: 578Unconfirmed
    edited August 2018

@aztecsensei said:

i think there are important subjects that no one have touched it yet,such as:

• third person character controller (with props interaction)
      -basic melee A.I ( zombies,monters,etc)
      -basic A.I for shooter enemies(terrorist,soldiers)

Sharp Accent tutorials are awesome, there are made for Unity but they can be translated to work in Godot, those tutorials will explain all you need to create advanced gameplay.

Tps controller

Melee

AI

@MagicLord said:
    Sharp Accent tutorials are awesome, there are made for Unity but they can be translated to work in Godot, those tutorials will explain all you need to create advance gameplay.

Sharp Accent’s tutorials are great, I have been a subscriber to his channel for 2+ years now and while I am not currently doing any Unity work (though that may change in the future), I enjoy watching his tutorials and I have learned quite a bit from them.

For personal learning, I think using and translating his tutorials for Godot would be great! Some things may be difficult to translate from Unity to Godot. For example, I think the following could prove to be challenging to translate:

-| Navmesh generation and usage. Unity has (in my opinion) a much better navigation system then Godot currently. For Godot, you may need to write your own implementation for some of the things Unity includes built in.

-| IK scripting. This will be much easier in Godot 3.1, but it really depends on how similar the API for IK will be between engines.

-| Translating code from the component system Unity uses to the class/node based system Godot uses. This one could be really, really hard, or really easy depending on a multitude of factors. For one, it depends on how many components are used, and how interconnected they are. Because Godot objects can only have one script, you either will have to make one massive script with all of the functionality of each component script, or you will have to use multiple children nodes and have them communicate with each other.

But I definitely think Sharp Accent’s tutorials are great, and could be very helpful for Godot users. I just think translating the code may prove challenging depending on the complexities of the project.

From a tutorial making point of view, I think translating his tutorials and sharing/publishing them would be questionable due to legal concerns. Sharp Accent has tutorial videos on his channel for free, but if I recall correctly he has his own Patreon where he gives early access to his tutorials (and I think he sells bundles with his tutorials and project files too, but I don’t remember for sure).

Granted, I am no lawyer, so it’s possible everything would be fine. I supppose if someone wanted to translate his tutorials to Godot the best way to know for sure would be to ask him for permission.

Thanks for sharing! I definitely think Sharp Accent’s channel needs more subscribes and views, as his tutorials are great! :)

edited August 2018

@TwistedTwigleg said:
    -| Navmesh generation and usage. Unity has (in my opinion) a much better navigation system then Godot currently. For Godot, you may need to write your own implementation for some of the things Unity includes built in.

Navmesh will be improved perhaps fully re done after 3.1
    The basic navigation should work as good as Unity or Armory 3D.

-| IK scripting. This will be much easier in Godot 3.1, but it really depends on how similar the API for IK will be between engines.

IK will be possible in 3.1

-| Translating code from the component system Unity uses to the class/node based system Godot uses. This one could be really, really hard, or really easy depending on a multitude of factors. For one, it depends on how many components are used, and how interconnected they are. Because Godot objects can only have one script, you either will have to make one massive script with all of the functionality of each component script, or you will have to use multiple children nodes and have them communicate with each other.

About translation, this isn't copying, it's not possible , Unity and Godot doesn't work exactly the same way.
    Instead, this is understanding how those tutorials works in Unity, what are the main principles and apply those in Godot.
    The code can be modified or simplified, Sharp Accent has it's own way to code and code the gameplay, but you could do another way and get almost the same result.

Thanks for sharing! I definitely think Sharp Accent’s channel needs more subscribes and views, as his tutorials are great! :)

I have nothing to do with Sharp Accent’s channel, i don't post it's videos to make views, and Godot forum is really not the best placed to get lot of view on videos :D
    Those are for @aztecsense as he asked for those type of tutorials (there is lot of other tutorials, but Sharp Accent covers some things i didn't find on other tutorials).

@MagicLord said:

Navmesh will be improved perhaps fully re done after 3.1

That would be great if they improved or redid the Navmesh system in Godot. Utilizing something like Detour (like the plugin slapin is working on) would, in my opinion, make it much easier to make more complicated things like AI.

I really hope it gets some more attention post Godot 3.1.

About translation, this isn't copying, it's not possible , Unity and Godot doesn't work exactly the same way.
    Instead, this is understanding how those tutorials works in Unity, what are the main principles and apply those in Godot.
    The code can be modified or simplified, Sharp Accent has it's own way to code and code the gameplay, but you could do another way and get almost the same result.

Very true. If you learn and make your own version of the tutorial using Sharp Accent's principles as a base, then I totally agree that there is nothing wrong with it at all.

As you said, the code could be changed in such a way where it's your own code, and thinking about it, I suppose you could get very similar code even if you had not ever seen/read the tutorials before. Sometimes you and someone else can have almost exactly the same code because you and the other person just had similar ideas on how to code the project.

I have nothing to do with Sharp Accent’s channel, i don't post it's videos to make views, and Godot forum is really not the best placed to get lot of view on videos :D
    Those are for @aztecsense as he asked for those type of tutorials (there is lot of other tutorials, but Sharp Accent covers some things i didn't find on other tutorials).

I know. I was not trying to imply that you had something to do with his channel, or was trying to make views. I was just stating that I think he could use more of them :) I'm just surprised that most of his videos only have a few hundred views, while his tutorials are really good and as you said, he covers things you rarely (if ever) find on other tutorials.

I was just trying to state what difficulties I could see in translating the tutorials from Unity to Godot, more as a heads up to anyone trying more than anything. I totally think Sharp Accent's tutorials are great, and I'd love to see someone make them work with Godot :)

My apologizes if I implied that you were trying to make views, or anything like that. That was not my intention, and I'm sorry if my earlier post implied otherwise.

edited August 2018

@TwistedTwigleg said:

That would be great if they improved or redid the Navmesh system in Godot. Utilizing something like Detour (like the plugin slapin is working on) would, in my opinion, make it much easier to make more complicated things like AI.

I really hope it gets some more attention post Godot 3.1.

I already posted an issue on GitHub with an example showing how primitive and bad is navigation in Godot, while it works great including physics in Armory 3D.

Very true. If you learn and make your own version of the tutorial using Sharp Accent's principles as a base, then I totally agree that there is nothing wrong with it at all.

As you said, the code could be changed in such a way where it's your own code, and thinking about it, I suppose you could get very similar code even if you had not ever seen/read the tutorials before. Sometimes you and someone else can have almost exactly the same code because you and the other person just had similar ideas on how to code the project.

Some things will be easy while others can be harder until you use Godot C# instead of GDscript that is more limited.

There is many other tutorials from other 3D engines that could also translate to Godot.

edited August 2018

@MagicLord said:
    I already posted an issue on GitHub with an example showing how primitive and bad is navigation in Godot, while it works great including physics in Armory 3D.

Great! Hopefully the developers will see it and consider making/using a new navigation system in Godot.

Some things will be easy while others can be harder until you use Godot C# instead of GDscript that is more limited.

I forgot that Godot has C# support now! Last I heard it had some problems (I heard there was some problems with using 3D and C#) but I bet those are fixed now. I really ought to give Godot's C# implementation a try in the near future.

There is many other tutorials from other 3D engines that could also translate to Godot.

Very true. Often times when I have a problem and searching for Godot specific solutions yield no results, I often take a look to see how other game engines handle the problem and then convert/translate the solution to Godot.

edited August 2018

@TwistedTwigleg said:
    Great! Hopefully the developers will see it and consider making/using a new navigation system in Godot.

Yes, they seen it and responded, you can find it here
    https://github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/17885

I forgot that Godot has C# support now! Last I heard it had some problems (I heard there was some problems with using 3D and C#) but I bet those are fixed now. I really ought to give Godot's C# implementation a try in the near future.

Last time i tried it was not able to detect and run with VS2017, many Api functions are not implemented, there is lot of work before it is condidered fully implemented and stable.
    But this could become the main language, faster with classes support , more able for complex games.

Very true. Often times when I have a problem and searching for Godot specific solutions yield no results, I often take a look to see how other game engines handle the problem and then convert/translate the solution to Godot.

This is why Unity is number one for indies, there is many thousand of tutorials everywhere covering everything from code to editor, to make any kind of game.

Hey guys!

I just posted a new update post explaining what I've been up to in September, along with announcing when things are coming out (and some minor changes to tutorial series in the future).

Here is a brief summery of the update post, though I would highly suggest taking a look at the post if you want more details:

-| The tower defense tutorial I started working on last time I posted an update here is finished and will be released on September 26th for patrons.
    -| A new Gimp tutorial showing how to make bump maps (sometimes called height maps) will be released in WIP form on September 26th, and then fully released on the 28th. This tutorial will be free!
    -| Future tutorials will be shorted and more focused, with longer tutorial series being more infrequent. This allows me to keep a nice and consistent stream of tutorials coming out!

If anyone has any suggestions or feedback, please let me know! My TODO list can never be too long :lol:

Hey everyone!

I just posted another update post on RandomMomentania, this time explaining what has happened in October and what is on the way.

A sneak peek of a upcoming tutorial series coming in November. I'm really excited to start writing the tutorial for this project, as I think it's going to be awesome!

You can go check it out here if you want :smile:

Here is a brief summery of everything in the update:

-| There is a real time chat tutorial in Godot out right now for patrons.
    -| I’m working on a new Godot plugin that will allow for easier modding support in Godot games. You can find the plugin on GitHub right now, though it needs more work before it is fully usable.
    -| I made a game for ProcJam 2018 to learn Unity 2018, which you can download and play if you want.
    -| A new Godot tutorial series, a 3D vertical space arcade shooter, is on the way and will be coming out starting in November!
    -| I will be taking a short break starting on November 5th.
    -| No free tutorials out in October, though there is a free tutorial planned for November.
    -| A bunch of questions (if you guys have time and/or want to answer. No pressure either way!)

While not much tutorial-wise has came out on RandomMomentania in October, I've been working really hard on making future tutorials and projects. November and December should be exciting and the plan is to make a bunch more tutorials (assuming nothing major comes up) :smile:

As always, if you have any suggestions or feedback please let me know!
    (Also, if you are doing anything tonight, October 31st, please stay safe!)

Hey guys.

Due to an unfortunate turn of events, RandomMomentania will no longer be using Patreon moving forward.

You can find all of the details here on this update post.

If you are using Patreon or know anyone that uses Patreon, please give the article a read so what happened to me does not happen to others. No one should have their work stolen through an exploit.

Here is a brief breakdown of the post:

-| RandomMomentania will no longer be using Patreon.
    -| Patreon-only tutorials are locked and will be removed soon.
    -| The change is due to Patreon having a major exploit, and my website potentially having fallen victim to this exploit.
    -| Hardly anyone makes enough money on Patreon, and combined with the possibility of my hard work easily being stolen through an exploit, I needed to make a change.
    -| RandomMomentania is going to change a bit in the coming days as I remove Patreon-related content.
    -| I am looking into other ways of supporting RandomMomentania. This includes finding a way to provide paid tutorials while also supporting my ability to make them.
    -| I still have big things planned, including cool tutorials, but I'll have to do it differently in the future.

But please go give it a read if you have the time. While what happened to me is not great, the reason I made the post was so hopefully no one else will be caught unaware of the exploit.

I'll keep you guys informed when I figure out what I'm doing in the future. Hopefully it will not take too long, but I want to make sure I do it right and find a solution that works for everyone :smile:

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,059Admin

That is a shame, hopefully you can find or have found a better solution.

@Megalomaniak said:
    That is a shame, hopefully you can find or have found a better solution.

Thanks! I have some ideas I need to look into, and once everything settles a bit I plan on taking a careful look at some potential solutions. I plan on doing more extensive research beforehand so I can hopefully find a solution that works for everyone involved.

Hopefully sometime soon I will have some good news to share!

hello again!
    too bad what happened with your project! :/
    ive heard that armory engine had problems with patreon too.
    it hurt me to say this (i dont like 2d) but i still believe that 2d tutorials are the way to go to attract godot patreons,ya know the step by step, cool gameplay,classic mechanic from popular videogames ,tricks and of course the very ,very basics of gdscript.
    i noticed that a lot of godot users are noobs and dont care much for 3d stuff right know. like the 3d scares them or sth.
    spend some time watching what the kids are doing, look how gdquest and Lesko are doing it, pick a popular series such as megaman,sonic,castlevania or the most recent indie game and watch how your followers grow baby.
    3d stuff is great but theres a lot of people that they dont know what they doing.
    you already have the TALENT man,now you have to become POPULAR.
    well thats what i would do if id wish to become succesful on a project like this.
    Best of Luck.

btw, youtube is a essential tool to succed.dont foget it.
    :D