Anyone else doing the GamedevTV Godot course?

emo10001emo10001 Posts: 121Member

As of now it's only available to those who backed the Kickstarter. I've been going through it slowly but so far I think it's really solid. I like Yann's style/delivery. Starting out with a decent amount of GDScript, which I like. Eventually they will be showing how to convert to C# (although I'm likely to stick with native). All in all, so far, a very solid course that jumps right in!

Anyone else going through it? Thoughts?

-emo

Comments

• soundchasersoundchaser Posts: 17Member

So far it has been super solid for me. I found it a bit frustrating that some of the lectures were out of order initially, but I figure this is common for the initial set up of a course on Udemy. The thing that I love the most is probably that they reinforce best practices in each module. It's one thing to just go through and teach programming and node functions, but having best practices instilled early on can make a lifetime of difference once you really get into gear designing a game. Especially useful for those of us who are still green around the ears in the coding world.

I am also taking their 2D Art with GIMP course and for someone who has never had a grasp of the visual arts, I am finding that i have been creating art that looks almost good enough to hang up on the cyber fridge. I am fairly certain that they exclusively put out top quality videos.

• emo10001emo10001 Posts: 121Member

I actually just now realized I made this a question...and not a discussion LOL. oops.

I agree @soundchaser . The course has been really solid. Good best practices and it's just obvious that they've really put time into learning and understanding Godot pretty deeply themselves, before running out to teach others.

I like Yanns style as well.

I've gone through their Blender course, although a lot of it is a review for me. I've almost bit on the Gimp 2D art course. Does it cover Gimp 2.10?

-emo

• soundchasersoundchaser Posts: 17Member

Yes, @emo10001 it covers the most recent version of gimp, at the time at least. I'm using GIMP 2.10.2 and i think that was one version newer than the one they used. Everything has translated over well.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,059Admin

@emo10001 said:
    I actually just now realized I made this a question...and not a discussion LOL. oops.

Well, it's a discussion now. :)

edited July 2018

@Megalomaniak said:
    Well, it's a discussion now.

Thank you! :smile:

@soundchaser said:
    Yes, @emo10001 it covers the most recent version of gimp, at the time at least. I'm using GIMP 2.10.2 and i think that was one version newer than the one they used. Everything has translated over well.

Thanks, thats good to know. I'll likely pick that one up too.

-emo

• aztecsenseiaztecsensei Posts: 77Member

hello! did they talk about ' 3D stuff ' ?
    i m not really into 2d dev but its nice.
    :o

• cowhand214cowhand214 Posts: 16Member

Oh, wow! Thanks for posting this. It had slipped my mind that I'd backed the kickstarter and could start looking at the course! I'll have to have a look and see how it goes.

@aztecsensei said:
    hello! did they talk about ' 3D stuff ' ?
    i m not really into 2d dev but its nice.
    :o

It starts out with 2D, and there is a plan for a 3D section as well. The curriculum is still being put together. They've really done their homework as far a knowing how the engine works for the 2D so I have to imagine the 3D parts will be just as good.

@cowhand214 said:
    Oh, wow! Thanks for posting this. It had slipped my mind that I'd backed the kickstarter and could start looking at the course! I'll have to have a look and see how it goes.

I've really enjoyed it so far. Finished up the first game of Loony Lips, which is a mad libs clone to get a feel for GDscript. Then they began converting that to C# (which you can skip if you want to stay in GDscript. Today I moved into the next 2D side scroller Bunny Hop. As far as the scroller goes, you can substitute your own graphics and just follow along if you like.

IMO, the course is really solid and broken up into nice digestible chunks.

-emo

• cowhand214cowhand214 Posts: 16Member

@cowhand214 said:

I've really enjoyed it so far. Finished up the first game of Loony Lips, which is a mad libs clone to get a feel for GDscript. Then they began converting that to C# (which you can skip if you want to stay in GDscript. Today I moved into the next 2D side scroller Bunny Hop. As far as the scroller goes, you can substitute your own graphics and just follow along if you like.

IMO, the course is really solid and broken up into nice digestible chunks.

-emo

I went through the introductory stuff last night and am thinking I'll start the loony lips piece tonight. I'm sure I'll learn some stuff (I've just been messing about with Godot to this point) but I'm also hoping I'll be able to provide some useful feedback. Do you have a sense of how often they are updating the course materials? It's obviously still very much a work in progress.

@cowhand214 said:
    Do you have a sense of how often they are updating the course materials?

New sections are being added at a really good pace IMO. On the Facebook group, they make announcements at least 3-4 times a week as to when new videos are going to be uploaded...etc.

-emo