Forum empty lines

MagicLordMagicLord Posts: 578Unconfirmed
edited June 3 in Forum Chat

Hi there,

Why the forum doesn't accept empty lines ?
I want to space my text to make it clear to read, but only one empty line is accepted :/

Answers

• keltwookiekeltwookie Posts: 213Member

Apparently , the </br> HTML tag should work, have a look here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20543454/create-two-blank-lines-in-markdown

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 183Admin Godot Developer
    edited June 3 Answer ✓

Another way is to put a non-breakable space (such as the character in this code block: ) on each extraneous line break. That said, I advise not using more than one line break unless you really need it. There's no point in spacing text too much; that will actually make it less readable most of the time.

Another possible option is to use the line separator ___ on an empty line, which is equivalent to the <hr> HTML tag.

• MagicLordMagicLord Posts: 578Unconfirmed
    edited June 3

Why should we write HTML code ? It's a forum , not a HTML editor right ?
    Other forums i use, i just press Enter to create new lines and empty lines are displayed correctly.

I think using less and less the forum and move to discord and other channels instead.

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 183Admin Godot Developer
    edited June 3

Why should we write HTML code ? It's a forum , not a HTML editor right ?

You don't have to write HTML when writing Markdown, I was just saying that ___ will render into the <hr> HTML tag. You can write many HTML tags in Markdown and they will work as expected, but it depends on the Markdown implementation.

Other forums i use, i just press Enter to create new lines and empty lines are displayed correctly.

Other forums don't use Markdown, they typically use BBCode which makes no attempt to format paragraphs. As BBCode is way less readable, I'm not missing it.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 923Admin

The decision to use markdown here was made to make the forum more consistent with the github issue tracker which also uses markdown.

As far as using discord over the forum: that is something entirely up to you.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file