edited April 28 in 3D

Hi,
is it my fault or a bug?
I expected A points to B
see attached scene

Answers

• GarromOrcShamanGarromOrcShaman Posts: 153Member
    edited April 27 Answer ✓

It is not your fault nor bug. Look_at works just fine. Every 3D models must have defined where is up and where is forward to be used in video games. Looks like default models what you shouldn't use have forward defined to side. To achieve desired effect you should learn little of Blender and create your own asset with correctly defined directions.

• MagicLordMagicLord Posts: 578Unconfirmed
    edited April 28

@hsn678 said:
    Hi,
    is it my fault or a bug?
    I expected A points to B
    see attached scene

look_at has a bug, in my demo a model got scaled and offset using look_at.
    https://godotdevelopers.org/forum/discussion/19246/look-at-and-rotation

I wish Godot gets simple rotation command like without needing extra parameters
    Quaternion.look_at(Vector3 direction)

Another usefull function is
    Quaternion.look_at_lerp ( Vector3 direction, lerp_Value)

• hsn678hsn678 Posts: 5Member
    edited April 28

@GarromOrcShaman said:
    It is not your fault nor bug. Look_at works just fine. Every 3D models must have defined where is up and where is forward to be used in video games. Looks like default models what you shouldn't use have forward defined to side. To achieve desired effect you should learn little of Blender and create your own asset with correctly defined directions.

Thank you. I successfully exported .obj from Blender with 'up' and 'forward' properties. but .dae files and simple Godot's meshes doesn't seem support 'up' and 'forward' properties.
    Solved

@hsn678 said:

@GarromOrcShaman said:

Thank you. I successfully exported .obj from Blender with 'up' and 'forward' properties. but .dae files and simple Godot's meshes doesn't seem support 'up' and 'forward' properties.
    Solved

First thing, you should use "Better" Collada exporter.It was tweaked to work fine with GoDot. This "Better" exporter automatically set Blender's +Z as up and -Y as forward so you have some less work to do here. Glad to help :)

@GarromOrcShaman said:

Every model has a forward vector and a up vector when they are dropped in the level.
    Why should we tell where is up and forward ?
    I wish we got a function like this : Quaternion.align( Vector3 direction)

@MagicLord said:

Simply to know where is up and where is forward. Try download and use his test project. Forward is set to side what
    ended with incorrect rotation. I'm doing 3D graphics for video games for 3 years already, I know what i'm speaking about.

@GarromOrcShaman said:

@MagicLord said:

Simply to know where is up and where is forward. Try download and use his test project. Forward is set to side what
    ended with incorrect rotation. I'm doing 3D graphics for video games for 3 years already, I know what i'm speaking about.

I was only telling you some other 3D Engines have align function that needs only one vector3 parameter.