Godot and Construct

MagicLordMagicLord Posts: 578Unconfirmed
edited March 27 in General Chat

Hi there,

Should Godot propose to beginners game templates, and library of functional objects with script ?
Like Construct, you have a library of scripts and pre made functional objects you can drop on your project and make your Fps , racing or 2.5D game without needing to learn GDscript.

Comments

• SolarLuneSolarLune Posts: 35Member
    edited March 29

I always liked having a blank canvas when making things, and never liked having to start with a template. It was a pain for me when I was making things with other game engines to have to try to figure out how to put my idea into a template's skeleton. So, for a beginner, making templates available could be good, but I don't think it should be the default.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 927Admin
    edited March 30

I'm working on a some assets to offer as patreon benefits to forum patreons should we choose to go that way for future forum hosting costs. It could be considerable to include some basic template(s) along with that however I'm not going to have enough time to create any tutorials for their use to go along with it(would be just a drop-in-and-start-using type of deal). @TwistedTwigleg however seems to be considering starting he's own patreon for tutorial making so he might be able to cover that part on his own.

Would something like that be interesting?

• MagicLordMagicLord Posts: 578Unconfirmed

@SolarLune said:
    I always liked having a blank canvas when making things, and never liked having to start with a template. It was a pain for me when I was making things with other game engines to have to try to figure out how to put my idea into a template's skeleton. So, for a beginner, making templates available could be good, but I don't think it should be the default.

Because you know very well GDscript.
    It's not templates but starting projects where you could add modules.

To make an fps you grab the fps project and you get the player physics,controller and camera ready to play.
    You can start import models and test your scene in some minutes.
    It's great when you start a project, and lot better than copy and paste some demos games and have to remove lot of things you don't need.

I made a 2.5D platformer, but i would have been very happy if i had pre made modules to get a game running in some minutes and test some scene before modifying 3D models or modify some code for specific purposes.
    This could be for example :
    * starter project with player controller and camera
    * platforms module
    * walking robot module
    * flying robot
    * items to collect
    * dangerous zones like spikes
    * score module and hud
    This is how most people that didn't code made games with game maker.

edited March 30

@Megalomaniak said:
    I'm working on a some assets to offer as patreon benefits to forum patreons should we choose to go that way for future forum hosting costs. It could be considerable to include some basic template(s) along with that however I'm not going to have enough time to create any tutorials for their use to go along with it(would be just a drop-in-and-start-using type of deal). @TwistedTwigleg however seems to be considering starting he's own patreon for tutorial making so he might be able to cover that part on his own.

Would something like that be interesting?

There are many open source models from Blender swap or open game art. They are only place holders.

Drag and drop the player controller and camera, drop some robots containing the script interacting with the player controller, drop HUD module and you already have a game running.
    But i'm not sure modules is the way to go anymore.
    Because you can learn how is setup a scene , where is HUD, how collision is setup on level; from a complete game demo.

However project starters would be appreciated including ready to use player and camera.
    You create some project template, drop some floor and you got something running you can iterate on instead of starting from scratch.

• NeoBerlinNeoBerlin Posts: 106Member

Hi,
    templates would be nice - for me an example:
    i actually try out 3D - in blender i know what to do, so i actually build up my own street tiles - for testing godot, i use simple low polies

and now i featured out to get it into Godot

...so when there is a tmplate for car:
    camera
    physics
    movement
    ...that would be very nice for me - only a simple template within the movement, physics and camreaview.

i hope u understand what i mean :)

Nice evening
    Neo

@NeoBerlin said:
    camera
    physics
    movement
    ...that would be very nice for me - only a simple template within the movement, physics and camreaview.

i hope u understand what i mean :)

Nice evening
    Neo

Template or car game demo project, both is about giving a starting point for those that don't know how to do it in GDscript.

We should give a list about all game demos we would like to find in Godot.

Hi,
    i found the
    Truck Town Demo,
    but there is too much inside the demo project for using it as a module...and its hard to find out what is important and what can be delete for getting a project with a simple car physics, movement and following camera..
    i dont need three different cars, dont need a map, dont need a menu...
    so can someone please schrink this project to the minimal needs?
    that would be fine.

Thank you
    Neo

@NeoBerlin said:
    Hi,
    i found the
    Truck Town Demo,
    but there is too much inside the demo project for using it as a module...and its hard to find out what is important and what can be delete for getting a project with a simple car physics, movement and following camera..
    i dont need three different cars, dont need a map, dont need a menu...
    so can someone please schrink this project to the minimal needs?
    that would be fine.

Thank you
    Neo

Perhaps this could interest you ;)
    https://godotdevelopers.org/forum/discussion/19255/racing-car-3d-video-tutorial

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 927Admin

@MagicLord said:

@NeoBerlin said:
    camera
    physics
    movement

Template or car game demo project, both is about giving a starting point for those that don't know how to do it in GDscript.

We should give a list about all game demos we would like to find in Godot.

@jonri @Zireael @MagicLord @NeoBerlin
    You all seem to share some common interests, might want to coordinate. ;)

Thank you - yes...it will give me a general understanding for setting up a car - so i try to build my own template :)

Nice day
    Neo