There are no 3D tutorials

MagicLordMagicLord Posts: 578Unconfirmed
edited January 31 in General Chat

Hi there,

There is lot of 2D games tutorials covering most games genres you could want to make.
But 3D games genre tutorials are almost non existent.

I made lot of small 3D games experiments, i learned mainly from other people examples and code.
This is a good way to learn , but it can be long , sometimes the example code (or official tutorials code) can get too complex or is not so great, or sometimes there is simpler and better ways.
You can also spend lot of time figuring out how something works in Godot.

I have a good understanding to make different 3D games genres with Godot, but i wish there was as much 3D tutorials as 2D ones when i started Godot 3D, this would have made the 3D experience smoother and more enjoyable.

Comments

• BinaryOrangeBinaryOrange Posts: 209Big Boss

I agree, Godot's 3D tutorials have certainly not been plentiful. I think it mainly has to do with previous versions (pre-dating 3.0) - the 3D renderer just wasn't very spectacular, and so most people used it for 2D games - thus, that's what tutorials focused on.

However, lots of tutorials have been popping up recently, and I have a feeling even more will down the road. Thankfully, GDscript is easy to grasp in 2D, and easy enough to "port" to 3D.

I might try and port my current project from Unity into Godot (it's 3D, hence why I wasn't using Godot from the start), and see if I can't learn how to get it all working in there. I think the best way to learn it for now, as you said, is to just keep experimenting.

• MagicLordMagicLord Posts: 578Unconfirmed

@BinaryOrange said:
    I agree, Godot's 3D tutorials have certainly not been plentiful. I think it mainly has to do with previous versions (pre-dating 3.0) - the 3D renderer just wasn't very spectacular, and so most people used it for 2D games - thus, that's what tutorials focused on.

However, lots of tutorials have been popping up recently, and I have a feeling even more will down the road. Thankfully, GDscript is easy to grasp in 2D, and easy enough to "port" to 3D.

I might try and port my current project from Unity into Godot (it's 3D, hence why I wasn't using Godot from the start), and see if I can't learn how to get it all working in there. I think the best way to learn it for now, as you said, is to just keep experimenting.

I agree, more Godot users made 3D tutorials should come later.

Should someone make a kickstarter for 3D tutorials like GDQuest done for 2D ?
    Why there is Patreon and tutorials vore if no tutorials have been made ?

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 701Admin

@MagicLord said:
    Why there is Patreon and tutorials vote if no tutorials have been made?

You can find the (currently open) issues for the Godot Patreon tutorials/demos: here, here, here and here.

Anyone can work on the tutorials/demos. I'm personally working on the official FPS tutorial in my spare time.

After I do the FPS tutorial I plan on making more tutorials. What kinds of tutorials would you guys like to see? While I currently cannot allocate a lot of time to making tutorials, I'll do what I can to make quality tutorials (focusing on 3D, since I'm a terrible 2D artist :lol:). Any suggestions on what to cover would be greatly appreciated!

Someone should make a Kickstarter for 3D tutorials like GDQuest has done for 2D

Maybe once I finish the FPS tutorial(s) I'll create a Kickstarter? The funding would give me more time to work on tutorials, and I really only work in 3D anyway.... Plus I have some ideas on some interesting tutorials to make in the future... :smile: (No promises though. I'd have to figure out how Kickstarter works and stuff before I take any money. Before I'll even consider funding from a site like Kickstarter I want to at least get the FPS tutorial finished)

@TwistedTwigleg, wouldn't a patreon be better than a one-time Kickstarter? Or would you only need the finances in a lump sum one time? You mentioned time, so I thought a pateron might work better in that case, since Kickstarter is a limited run and from what I understand, takes more of the "cut", if it succeeds.

@BinaryOrange Yeah, Patreon would probably work better. That way I can make a tutorial or two a month (assuming I can crank them out that fast), and then get paid a little bit per month for them (assuming that's how Patreon works. I have to admit I know little about both Kickstarter and Patreon)

Regardless, as I stated above, I'm going to wait for now. I want everyone to see my tutorial style before asking for money. Another benifit of waiting is that then I can show that I know what I'm talking about, which personally I would want before if I was going to pay for tutorials :smiley:

Hi @MagicLord,

So it looks like some 3D tutorials are starting to gain some traction! There are at least two channels on YouTube that are focusing on 3D with Godot: Jeremy Bullock and Jayanam. I thought I'd let you know, I only found them a couple of days ago. Some very encouraging videos look to be on the way!

@TwistedTwigleg, please let us know when you have your first tutorial ready for viewing, I am always eager to find new tutorials!

@BinaryOrange I'm hoping to have the PR ready soon! I have almost the first draft for the entire tutorial written out, so it shouldn't be too much longer :smile:
    (There will also be a video version later, but I'm working on finishing the written version first)

That's cool that others are making 3D tutorials in Godot! Godot needs more 3D tutorials now that we have the cool new renderer!