Any Plans to Submit G3 to the Various Linux App Stores?

martymarty Posts: 114Member

It's always nice for Linux users to be able to do a one-clikc install. ;-)

Any plans to make that happen with submission to the Ubuntu, ElementaryOS, etc. Linux app stores?

Answers

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 193Admin Godot Developer
    edited January 31 Answer ✓

Note that most distributions do not feature "app stores" per se, but rather package managers, which are very different concepts. Ubuntu sources most of its packages from Debian (the Linux distribution it is based on). There's already an intent to package Godot in Debian and Fedora, but progress has been scarce on the issue.

You may be more interested in Godot distributed as an AppImage, which is a distribution-independent application bundle, akin to .app directories on macOS. An AppImage compiled on an old distribution can run on most distributions (new and old) and doesn't require any non-default system dependencies to run; thus, you just need to make it executable then run it.

• martymarty Posts: 114Member

That .app thing sounds interesting - I'll look into that. I'm new to Godot and Linux but am loving the FOSS life given so many great, free, non-corporate options.

• martymarty Posts: 114Member

I just saw that Mint, Ubuntu and other popular Linux distros are now planning to incorporate support for Snap apps. Do you think it would be worthwhile suggesting that the team compile a Snap of Godot?

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 193Admin Godot Developer
    edited February 9 Answer ✓

Do you think it would be worthwhile suggesting that the team compile a Snap of Godot?

Feel free to create an issue about Snap packaging on GitHub. I personally prefer AppImage, but I figure someone else could work on other packaging systems.