GP (Name is Subject to Change)

d4v3y_5c0n3sd4v3y_5c0n3s Posts: 33Member
edited July 15 in Projects

Okay, so I've finished my project in Pygame (has been done for a while now), and I feel that I should update you guys on this game. The game is still currently on hold, because I have decided to take on a less ambitious project first. I have realized that at this point in time I do not currently possess the ability to make 3D assets fast enough to update this page on a regular basis. I apologize for this and if anyone has further questions they are free to message me.
(https://godotdevelopers.org/forum/uploads/editor/k9/h5e3rdxj491h.png "")

Here is an image of what my game looks like in its current state. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Current Facts About the Game:

-----GP is a unique game that aims to explain what no game has ever attempted before. This game has players taking the role of God in an extremely character-driven world. While no explicit goals are presented to the player they will be free to experiment by setting up scenarios in the world around them. They will accomplish this by putting down objects into the world in order to impact the characters in the story. TBC

Old + Outdated Facts About the Game: (May be removed soon)
'You've played as a god, now play as the God.'

In GP the player can position a multitude of objects in real-time so as to create the intended domino impact on the characters whilst discovering new possibilities in the game's open-ended story approach. This is an extremely ambitious project especially considering I am not a skilled artist nor do I have much experience to back me up. Yet, I feel confident that I can finish this project.

This post won't reveal much about the project because, well, the project is so very incomplete currently. What I hope to accomplish with this post is create a source that will hold me accountable and keep me on track. Suggestions are both welcomed and appreciated, so feel free to comment with your ideas.

Anyways, I will update this post later on with more information as development, so please stay tuned. Ideally the next update will happen within a week of this post. Wish me luck!

p.s. And yes, I am referring to the Christian God :wink: .

GP- What's Happening?

This is partially an update and partially a lesson to game developers. The above text is still here so you can read it but some of the design of the game has shifted since. To those wondering this project is still in the works. This text is really just to tell you my feelings on the project and the progress I've been making. Thank you for reading this.

-----This project really means a lot to me. I started it way back in early 2017. Back then I had the willingness to make the game but no experience whatsoever. My original idea revolved around players as God attempting to change the life of a suicidal man. In hindsight I am very much glad that I didn't run with this idea because it would've ended up feeling like a bad Christian movie (think pretty much any movie on Pureflix.) The idea that I decided to pursue with my game came to me on a jog. Whether or not it came from God is up for debate, but what I know is that I proceeded to repeat "we are all the same" to myself repeatedly on the way back home. My game would explore the idea of "we are all the same," or so I though. See, the idea "we are all the same" represented how people cannot see how alike we all are. That we cannot see the bigger picture of all the intricacies of God's design.
_
-----Now this was all well and good, but I still had to figure out what gameplay would best suit this theme. So the summer passed my by and little progress was made. Towards the end of summer I met ArcFutahito on the IRC channel. He answered a (probably) stupid question I had and for a short time we would message back and forth on the IRC. He was working on his own game at the time (you can ask him yourself if you are curious) and we exchanged some information on each of our projects. At the time, even though I wouldn't admit it, I was kind of embarrassed at the state of my project. After all, it had been months and all I had to show for my time was a broken demo with a stationary camera. Arc, however, was busy making assets to help expand his game further.
_
-----The open source world and the game development world fascinated me and I ate up anything I could find on either. The YouTube channel Extra Credits among others fed my hunger for games-related material. There were many downsides to this, however. When I would sit down to work on my project I would find myself just watching YouTube. Often the videos were about game development, but this meant that progress on my game was very slow. This would continue to slow my progress for quite some time. Yet still, slowly, my game continued to live on.
_
-----While progress on my actual game was slow, there was little end to the ideas I would write down in my notebook. My game morphed from a drag-and-drop-based design to a first-person-based design. What my game lacked in substance it made up for in the countless design notes I created. Still, I continued to chip away more and more progress.
_
-----And with that we are just about at current times. However, at this point I've made more progress than any other point in the project's lifetime. I was able to port my project to Godot 3.0 after basically starting over from scratch. I was then able to implement a first-person camera perspective as well as having created a very WIP base model for characters. The object placement system is currently in the works, and yet unfinished. And unfortunately I have another game that I must finish for a school project. This will definitely slow development, but I will still be making incremental progress.
_
Thanks for checking this out, and remember, the moral here is don't let your passion for games slow down your game's development, like I did.
-----d4v3y_5c0n3s
_
-----Current Name Candidates for GP:
----------The Creator's Diorama
----------A Parable
----------The Interpersonal Puzzle
----------Justified Means
----------The Miracle Quandary
----------Personal Cause for Intended Effect
(These following three are thanks to SIsilicon28!)
----------Believe
----------O'Miracle
----------Faith in Me
These names are currently in consideration for this game's title. Please let me know if you like them or if they all sound worng to you.

Feel free to try an early demo file here (you will need to close them with a shortcut such as Alt + F4 on Windows)

Windows 64-bit
Linux/X11 64-bit
Mac OSX

Tagged:

Tags :

Comments

• AnonymouqsAnonymouqs Posts: 2Member

I can't wait to see your game! Sound interesting and philosophical!

• d4v3y_5c0n3sd4v3y_5c0n3s Posts: 33Member

Thanks, Anonymouqs! I am excited to continue this game's development. :D

Small Update 2/1/18
    -This is a minor update, but I am moving God's Puzzle to the Godot 3.0 release.
    -I plan to finish the story structure this weekend, so stay tuned!

I just want to say that I am really glad how well people have been receiving my project, so thank you! :)

Update 2/9/18
    -My project has been successfully moved to Godot 3.0
    -I have created the story structure; now I just need to finish the story itself

Goals for Next Update
    -Import my rigged base character into Godot
    -Start in the procedural animation system
    -Start the story outline

Update 3/15/18
    Okay, so it's been over a month since the last update. I am happy to say that a good deal has happened in that time. The improvements are listed below.
    -WASD movement has been successfully implemented.
    -A bug with the kinematic body was fixed.
    -General code improvements have been made.
    -The base character has been improved (until recently when I somehow caused his arm to go through his head!)
    -The design for the AI system has been modified
    -The story outline was improved.

Despite these improvements I still have a long way to go until I have a finished game. Wish me luck! :)

Announcement:
    After doing a search on DuckDuckGo I found that the name "God's Puzzle" is both the name of a manga and a live action movie. :D So I am planning on changing my game's name to something else. If anyone has any ideas please leave a comment as I am open to suggestions. Thanks for reading and I'll see you late! :)

I still haven't decided on a name, but I'll find a good one soon.
    I hope you will enjoy the new information on my project. :) I am trying to be more open about my game's development, so enjoy!

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 785Admin

From the screen in OP it looks like you might have some weighting problems on the back of that character model?

Yea, I think that there is an issue with my model's normal as well. This is actually an outdated version of the model because I am redoing it. This model would pinch when the arms were moved.

Here is the mesh currently. Some changes have been made to other parts but my main focus for now is fixing up the arms.

I am experimenting with using a slightly different camera perspective that is based on the trackball camera available on the asset store here.

Hey, just a quick update here. This was something that I wanted to share earlier, but I forgot to.

For your information, this is what I want my game's story to look like. The circles are objects that the player gains access to. As each "act" passes the player gains addition objects to use. The objects all impact the characters differently; which is represented by the objects all converging with each passing act. Hopefully it is not too hard to follow.

I don't think its too hard to follow conceptually yet, however with each of those acts you are adding a new layer of complexity to your project in terms of programming it and completing it so I would recommend developing a minimal prototype of this with just acts 1 & 2 to test the viability of your concept before you spearhead on to the full project. :)

Yea, I get what you are saying. The more that I work on this project the more that I realize just how ambitious I can be. :D This story structure is subject to change though; it will probably be shorter than is presented here in order to preserve pacing.

• emo10001emo10001 Posts: 100Member

I like what you've got going on here. This is basically what I've been doing with a POC that I've got going. List out what all I'm planning on doing...checking off the boxes as I go.

Keep it up and keep us posted!

Can't wait to see more screenshots or wip files.

-emo

Thanks for the support, emo10001! :) I will definitely be adding more info about this project soon.

• SIsilicon28SIsilicon28 Posts: 28Member

A very interesting game. I hope to see more progress on it. I wonder it will become as big a hit as FNAF? Just saying ;) . I think you'll do just fine.

Oh and by the way I have a couple of ideas for your game's title.
    -Believe
    -O'Miracle
    -Faith in Me

Oh and if you need physical game assets, you can always ask us here at the dev forums.

@Admins Can we?

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 552Moderator

@SIsilicon28 said:
    Oh and if you need physical game assets, you can always ask us here at the dev forums.
    @Admins Can we?

I'm a little confused on what you are asking, but if you are asking if someone/anyone/you can ask for game assets, there's nothing in the rules against it, so I'd say it's fine as long as whoever is asking for assets does not make a ton of threads asking for assets (spamming) and is respectful about it (respecting other people's time, effort, etc) :)

There is no policy against collaborative projects, why would there be? :)

@Megalomaniak said:
    There is no policy against collaborative projects, why would there be? :)

Right. I apologize for such a silly question. I was just being careful about how work should be shared.

Thanks guys! All of this support is really motivating for me. I very much appreciate it. :D And thanks for the name ideas SIsilicon28. I hadn't thought of those. ;)

The unfortunate thing is, if I were to ask someone to help me make assets I wouldn't be able to pay them. If the game were sold, then I could pay them, but I haven't decided whether I want to sell it. In addition, this game seems to have a very small audience at least so far; this would mean that any contributing artists wouldn't get their name out to as many people. I don't want to offer someone an opportunity to work on a game without them knowing the risks first. Also, I haven't finished any games yet (besides the pong example); so I suggest that anyone who wants to contribute to the game wait for me to finish my other upcoming game (that is being made in Pygame) first.

I've decided to post some demo files so anyone can try out my limited game as it is so far. Most of my project can be accessed from here. If anyone has any questions about the (frankly not that impressive so far :s ) game then feel free to leave a comment. ;)