Where are the Patreon Tutorials and Demos?

martymarty Posts: 94Member

Heya, all! On the Godot Patreon page, it is mentioend that the group will "work on both a demo and a tutorial each month, based on community suggestions."

Where are these demos and tutorials?

Thanks!

Answers

• martymarty Posts: 94Member

So much 2D tutorializing for Godot. You'd think someone would create a 3D-oriented tutorial or two for it. You'd think.

• PaulHMasonPaulHMason Posts: 3Member

There's a whole bunch of demos here, including 3D:

https://github.com/godotengine/godot-demo-projects

Godot is open source, so it's very dependent on the community for things like tutorials. I'm also a bit bummed that the tutorials are a bit lacking, that's why I'm working on some to give back to the project.

The Github repository has 4 3D demos. I'm not being snarky, it;s just surprising how little apparent interest there is in developing materials for Godot that focus on 3D, given that 3D is so important a feature. Hopefully the intensified interest surrounding the 3.0 release will change that.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 783Admin

Well, up till now there wasn't a particularly enticing renderer in godot where 3D graphics are concerned, so yeah few of us have done anything with it. I've just familiarized myself with the engine in hope that we will be getting a better renderer in time. And now we are.

• kidscancodekidscancode Posts: 16Member
    Answer ✓

OP's question wasn't about tutorials in general, but specifically regarding the Godot Patreon.

The Patreon monthly voting has selected several tutorials and demos that will be made. However, they have to wait until 3.0 is released - it wasn't really feasible to make demos during development, because too many things change. Now that we're only a week or so away from release, work will start on putting those out.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 783Admin

Ah, I see. Still I reckon my point holds true non-the-less, especially since I was referencing OP's last reply above.

• PaulHMasonPaulHMason Posts: 3Member

@kidscancode said:
    OP's question wasn't about tutorials in general, but specifically regarding the Godot Patreon.

The Patreon monthly voting has selected several tutorials and demos that will be made. However, they have to wait until 3.0 is released - it wasn't really feasible to make demos during development, because too many things change. Now that we're only a week or so away from release, work will start on putting those out.

I'm really glad that they're waiting - I hate having to wade through tutorials based on pre-release versions that don't quite work with the RTM version. I think it gives a bad impression to new users when things don't work as expected. Keeping a core set of examples and tutorials up to date is a lot of work, but critical for the success of an open source project like Godot.

Thanks for all the great answers, everyone! IT looks like our Patreon tutorials are coming - I know I can't wait!

Also, for anyone cruising this thread looking for a great intro to 3D in Godot, you can't do better right now that Jeremy Bullock's 5-parter on YouTube at