New to Coding

WigatronWigatron Posts: 9Member
edited December 4 in Programming

Hi All,

I hope your used, to silly questions because here comes several.

I'm trying to create a simple game, I want to create a 0 gravity environment, and have the player an asteroid!
control the direction, but it to float around when, the player is not interacting

Answers

• WigatronWigatron Posts: 9Member

As you can probably tell from the screen cap, I have probably set the scene up completely wrong. I am open to all advice!

• NeoDNeoD Posts: 106Member

The hierarchy of your rock object is unusual. I'd rather to place the rock sprite as a child of the kinematic body.

edited December 4

Hi NeoD, Thanks I really appreciate your help. I have done that. Next step. How should I go about getting the "player rock" floating around in space?

Currently, the environment is nice and static.

• NeoDNeoD Posts: 106Member
    edited December 5

This documentation gives many useful informations on the topic.
    http://docs.godotengine.org/en/latest/learning/features/physics/kinematic_character_2d.html
    Greetings.

That kind of answered my question. I ended up getting Godot 3.0 Beta, with the visual scripting component, Unfortunately it doesn't really help if you don't know how to code.

• SomnivoreSomnivore Posts: 59Member

@Wigatron

Godot is probably not a good place to start if you don't know how to code at all. There are a number of challenges present when learning how to code: first, learning to write a programming language; next, learning the principles of coding which are present in every general purpose language; next, learning to use the engine's code alongside your own code, which is a huge chore even if you know how to code. The former two are hard enough in isolation, and also necessary in understanding how to use the latter. Exacerbating the issue is the general lack of community and tutorials for Godot compared to the other big guys (Unity & UE4).

Personally, I used this website to learn how to code years ago: https://learncodethehardway.org/python/ This site is intended for people who are absolute beginners at programming. Python has the added benefit of being very similar to GDScript, so you should be able to move between the two relatively easily. You could also try your hand at a C# tutorial since that's going to be in Godot 3: http://csharp.net-tutorials.com/ However it's more so intended for people who already have some grasp of programming, so it may be better to begin with the first resource.

I have done some C# but its more copy along. So I wouldn't say I understand it. Python, looks a lot nicer and more interesting to write. I do have access to Learn Python the Hard Way. Looks like an interesting book. Oh well. I have tried/ am playing around with the Visual Code. Perhaps you could review, and give advice on how I could achieve my aim?

So here is my first attempt.

Now I am probably doing this totally wrong. But My Player Sprite is attached to a kinematic body. I'm attempting to program the movement into to Kinematic body as its the parent of the sprite, does it look like i'm on the correct track?? I will get there!