What about a dedicated site for feature request and voting?

rraallvvrraallvv Posts: 7Member

Hey community!

Recently I found out that the developers of Expo use expo.canny.io for feature requests and tracking votes, but it's a paid service, so I was wondering whether something like that could be used for Godot.

I've found userreport.com and it's free, so what about using that one.

Github has the issue tracker, but I always get lost in the endless list of issues, and I don't now if there is a way to get the list of features sorted my the one with most comments, or more views, or something like that. Besides, only some requests are marked as feature.

Also, having a separate dedicate site only for features will help to have a smaller issues count at GitHub, because only those that are approved in the dedicated site will be added as issues.

I'd like to know the community sentiment about this suggestion, so any comment is appreciated.

Best Regards.

Tagged:

Tags :

Comments

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 217Admin Godot Developer
    edited November 2017

I personally prefer that everything (including feature requests) stays on GitHub, rather than on a website requiring yet another account (and maintenance). It also helps enforcing some kind of quality control for suggestions (see CONTRIBUTING.md).

Here's some links to make searching for feature requests easier:

Lastly, the best feature requests are the ones which clearly highlight the potential benefits (or, better, come as fully-written proposals). Unfortunately, I don't see these very often, and I'm afraid that asking for feature requests will make things worse.

• vnenvnen Posts: 31Admin Godot Developer

Number of comments is not the best metric. The issues with most comments are the most controversial, not exactly the most beneficial.

• rraallvvrraallvv Posts: 7Member

@Calinou said:
    I personally prefer that everything (including feature requests) stays on GitHub, rather than on a website requiring yet another account (and maintenance). It also helps enforcing some kind of quality control for suggestions (see CONTRIBUTING.md).

Here's some links to make searching for feature requests easier:

Lastly, the best feature requests are the ones which clearly highlight the potential benefits (or, better, come as fully-written proposals). Unfortunately, I don't see these very often, and I'm afraid that asking for feature requests will make things worse.

Sorting by those reactions with the grater number of thumbs up wouldn't necessarily list the most requested features at the top because someone could just write a "+1" in the moments, or react with a thumb up to some comment that is argument against including given feature.

Leave a Comment

Drop image/file