Royalty Free Music For Commercial Use

DarrenCurtisDarrenCurtis Posts: 6Member

Hello Everyone,

My name is Darren Curtis and I've been pursuing my path as a composer for the last few years. While mostly doing freelance commission work, I've also been producing free to use music along the way and am roughly up to around 80 free tracks thus far. Every single one of my pieces can be downloaded via My Website: DarrenCurtisMusic.com or if you prefer Soundcloud, I have an entire Playlist Here.

When you download a track from my site you'll receive a .zip folder that contains the .MP3, looped .OGG and uncompressed .WAV files. You'll also get a simplistic Materials Release signed by me in case you feel you might need it to prove you have my permission. If you end up needing something more in depth or you require something I haven't provided feel free to send the info to me at desperatemeasurez@yahoo.com and I'll get it back to you as soon as possible.

All I ask is to be credited for the music.

I hope everyone enjoys and has a great day. If you have any questions, concerns or troubles, please feel free to contact me and I'll get back to you as soon as I'm able!

Many thanks and best wishes!
Darren

Comments

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 747Admin

A very nice selection of tracks, quite diverse. Nice! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Only constructive piece of advice I can think of to give in return is you might also want to record and edit together some kind of collection of sound bites for effects, such as foot steps on different ground and floor surfaces, doors creaking and/or metal clangs things like that. I cant talk for all studios but at least in most instances the composers working in game studio sound departments do a whole lot more than "just" compose music. As such adding at least some sfx work to your portfolio would go a long way to bolster your portfolio and put you ahead of any other aspiring composers that do not showcase such wide range of experience.

Just my 2 humble cents. :)

• keltwookiekeltwookie Posts: 165Moderator

Wow: An oboe, bells, metalophone, strings, voices, etc. So sometimes, a complete orchestra. And sometimes, asian or religious ambiances, sometimes ethnic instruments, so yes, a large variety of diverse compositions.

No, composing music is far from being a simple alignment of sounds. And yes, it is a long and difficult work.
    Once you have the main theme in your head, you have to choose carefully your instruments, write the partitions (just in case of other instrumentalists participating), or if you working alone with a keyboard and/or a computer, you have to spend hours to find the sound fonts you need or sampling these sounds.
    Once you have the tones you wish, you still have a melody only, not the harmony which is a long process, all have to be perfecting fit with your main theme, if you are not satisfied using loops all night long of course.
    A single track can ask weeks, maybe months, to composers for video games or films.

Making sound effects is not the same work in my humble opinion and there are professionals for both, in this latest case, it is the most often sound engineers who do the job, because they have a perfect knowledge of frequencies, reverberation (rooms), doppler effect, etc...

Some of your track are pure pieces of art, sir. Hats off !
    ...And a wonderful share, many thanks.

• DarrenCurtisDarrenCurtis Posts: 6Member

@Megalomaniak

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the music so much. I have done some small effects before in the past, but not a lot. I do see the practicality of that though, especially in the Indie market. I know a few guys who offer all-in-one services like that and it's something I've been thinking of getting into for the past several months actually.

The only thing currently holding me back is money. I'm aiming to get a decent field recorder so I can record or start with more organic sounds before working on them. October wasn't a very good month for me personally but I'm sure things will start looking up soon. Once I get a recorder I'll definitely start putting together an effect portfolio. Many thanks!

@keltwookie

Thanks so much! I'm glad you appreciated the variety of the music! I do try to do a lot of different things and sometimes combine instruments that don't normally go together to attempt to create a semi-different sound or tone. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's a horrible experiment gone wrong!

You're quite welcome! And thank you! I appreciate your feedback and taking the time to write!

I also have a couple new tracks which have been added to the website. Both are dark in nature but have very different feels to them. The first is a mix of soundscape elements and melodic phrases performed in small sections by guitars, a piano and cello. It's called "Temporal Desolation."

The second is more an epic in your face track with booming percussion, a church organ, choirs and lots of hybrid, evolving background sounds. This piece has been dubbed "The Brotherhood."

I hope everyone enjoys. Best wishes!

Just stopping by to update this with a few new free tracks I've completed. The first is an intense, dark piece called "The Invasion."

Then we have an atmospheric, dystopian type outing led by guitar and piano called "The Cold Settles."

And finally a lighter track with some bittersweet vibes called "Searching, Waiting, Longing."

They're all uploaded to the website and ready to download/use.

I hope everyone had a great holiday!

• keltwookiekeltwookie Posts: 165Moderator

I Like very much « The Cold Settles », sad , but great ! Except for the guitar, sound more like an harpsichord in my opinion. But reproducing guitars has always been a pain on a keyboard, mainly due to the generated harmonics.

And no doubts « Invasion » deserve its tittle

PM sent

Thanks so much @keltwookie!

It's been awhile since I updated this but I have a few new pieces available for download. Also, due to getting the request from several people, I did some work on the site to incorporate on-board streaming. Each track can now be played in its entirety right from the site so you can decide if you want it or not. https://www.darrencurtismusic.com

Here are a couple of the newer tracks I've finished.

"Brace For The Storm"

"The Old Pumpkin Patch"

I hope everyone is well and enjoys!

It's been quite awhile since I've updated this, but I've come out with several new tracks which are all up on the site. I'll post just a couple of the most recent pieces I've completed.

First, a dark, apocalyptic sort of music called "Dystopian Nightmare"

And secondly, we have a Sci-Fi mixed with orchestral elements track with an epic feeling to it. It's called "Faraway Star"

I hope everyone is well and enjoys!

Hello everyone,

It's been a few weeks since I've updated this. Time has been seeming to escape me lately. I have another couple tracks which I've released. The first is a dark, Sci-Fi piece that starts softer and builds into a big climax. I had in mind a transformation of some kind taking place. It's titled "The Ascension."

And secondly I have a track that's more built toward a trailer score. "Ignite The Fire" is all about sound design elements and deep, booming percussion.

I hope everyone is well and has a great weekend!
    Best wishes!

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 747Admin

@DarrenCurtis said:
    Hello everyone,
    I hope everyone is well and has a great weekend!
    Best wishes!

Ditto and kudos.