DemoDemo

Hello everyone!

Over the past two weeks, I've been working on a new game called DemoDemo for a game by it's cover jam, which is a game jam where you make a game based on a fantasy game cartridge. It was a lot of fun and I decided to release a little early to see what everyone thinks about the game and so I have time to make changes if needed.

I made DemoDemo with Godot 3 alpha 1, and I have to say Godot is a lot of fun to develop with. Here's some screen shots of the game

Please give it a download and let me know if there is anything you think I should add/change/remove!

Tags :

Comments

• Shin-NiLShin-NiL Posts: 158Moderator

Nice graphics <3

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 888Admin

Thanks! :smiley:

Hey guys!

I just released an update to DemoDemo, which adds the following features:

-- Background music for all levels
    -- Walking/sprinting noises for the player
    -- Customizable mouse sensitivity
    -- Better quit mechanics (now a label shows you how to quit when you press escape)
    -- An small hint on what you need to do for each level when you enter it
    -- Small fixes and changes here and there.

Thanks to Kai20 on the itch.io comments for the feedback and everyone that's played the game so far! :smiley:

• bassebasse Posts: 18Member

very nice start..
    it's a bit frustrating now, if you get to the top, and make a slight mistake where to step and then you are back on ground feeling "i need to climb back up ..." and you are not actually feeling like to do it, because it already took quite a bit of time, and on second go it's just the same and maybe I fall.. is it worth it? (well, wasn't for me so I just quit)

a small story though: my daughter was playing this game called "Journey" on a playstation, and there was a part where she was climbing veeeeeery high on a hill, then you needed to do a jump over some broken bridge or something, and she missed it (well she was 5 at the time) and it meant doing it all over again and facing this gap.
    but, what made it different, was, that in that game, there is multiplayer feature, you don't interract really with other players, you don't talk, and you don't really need their help in anything. but they can just tag along and do the same things with you.
    so, she happened to had meet someone in the a bit earlier game, and they were just walking and walking and climbing and moving on together. and when this thing happened, my daughter was ready to give up the game because she didn't want to climb up again such a long way. what changed the situation, was that this other player (who we really didn't know as the game doesn't tell who they are) saw that she fell, and decided to volunteerly to jump down, and wait, and climb back up with her.
    so she did.
    I just watched all this in the couch, choking up, and though "MAN! that is some game design, so simple.. "
    and so I watched these two doing it again, other player waited if she made the jump, this time she did, and journey continued. (to the end of the game).

hmh, didn't end up all that small story :) but it's one of those moments in gaming for me you know.. and I don't know, got that feeling in this game when I dropped couple of times, that I don't have anyone to share it with me, no one saw this, nothing happened, I just repeat.

it's a tricky one I know ;)

good stuff though, controls, music, I and I like this type of things. so I hope you keep developing, and find something that gives player a reason to actually climb and maybe again and again if you fail.

.b

Thanks basse!

I'll look into making the journey up more motivating. I haven't played "Journey" though I read about it when it was released. It seems like a cool game. I should see if I can do something similar :smile:

Thanks again! :smiley:

• MagicLordMagicLord Posts: 578Unconfirmed
    edited March 17

Try MSAA*2 on projects settings to smooth the jaggy edges ;)

I just find it and i'll give it a try.

Yeah, I probably should have applied MSAA. Thanks for the suggestion :+1:

It’s funny, looking at the game now I realized how far I’ve come (in Godot). I remember struggling to work with Godot 3.0 (since it was in beta at the time).

Still proud of DemoDemo, maybe I’ll revamp/remake it someday :)

• MagicLordMagicLord Posts: 578Unconfirmed
    edited March 17

I found checkpoints are missing in bananas level where there is dangerous spikes, and running should be the first power we gain because i had to walk several times the same path because of danger items and walk is slow.
    Last level was lacking some cinematics to show what happens when we activate a trigger, sometimes i didn't know what to do or where to go.
    Last character doesn't talk until you move exactly to some cube, i was walking without knowing what to do until i walked on that cube.

I liked the moving dangers in Banana level or the train level with different gravity.
    The game has potential to become some Mario game in fps mode, it's entertaining and the story is fun, you did a good demo.
    Make a remaster with better use of Godot 3 new graphics and post effects ;)

Thanks MagicLord!

I may make make a remake! Given the game was made in a week (I think... I cannot remember) I imagine I can make a new, cooler, version with some time and effort.
    Thanks! And thanks for the feedback! I find getting any detailed feedback is hard, so I really appreciate it!