Maybe a hosting solution for independent game developers

keltwookiekeltwookie Posts: 71Member

Hello all

Yes, I know, I’m not that active with Godot these times, but there is a good reason, have a look here:

https://www.kt11.klgs.eu/

Forums :

https://www.kt11.klgs.eu/forums/

GIVE AWAY :

To celebrate the opening of this service, KT11 offer to the 5 first members :
- A free SFTP account - to host a presentation web page
- A personalized subdomain name ie. https://yoursite.klgs.eu>;
- A personalized email adress ie. yourname@klgs.eu)

The main reason of this is that I noticed a real demand for hosting games projects. I found about 15 websites dealing with the subject in US + 1 in Australia, but absolutely nothing elsewhere (except maybe Steam).

Please, be indulgent, it is just an attempt to offer a diffusion platform for indies. It is very, very far to be perfect.

@Bishop
@Megalomaniak

I don't know if you really need this but considering your help, the same offer is valid for both of you too. :)

Comments

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 304Member

Not sure I understand the issue you are trying to solve? I don't really have a problem with using something like itch.io if that is what you are trying to offer a alternative to. Perhaps I'm just missing something here.

• keltwookiekeltwookie Posts: 71Member

Yes, it is exactly the thing I tried to do, and stop me if I’m wrong but itch.io is based in US, and if you live in Europe or Russia (just examples), it could take hours to upload something. It is also because I heard numerous complaint about platforms like steams which are often overloaded by demands maybe due to its popularity.
    So yes, KT11 could be considered as an alternative.

The other offer (the « give away » I talk above) is especially for Godot users. I personally know how difficult could be the loan of hosts. So, as I have the opportunity to help, it is just what I try to do. Once again, it is far from perfection.:)

• memermemer Posts: 35Member

Itch.io is certainly not overloaded, and I don't believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that server location should affect throughput significantly, only latency. Do you have any useful features that itch.io doesn't have, other than webhosting (assuming you offer this outside just this offer)?

@memer said:
    Itch.io is certainly not overloaded, and I don't believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that server location should affect throughput >significantly, only latency.

Ok, you are surely right but in this case, explain me why when I use US depots for my linux distros (I live in Europe). It takes about 45 mn to download a 120 MB package and only 10 for the same package when I use a local one (yes you are right, I got a poor connection). And excuse me if I’m wrong, but aren’t these depots using the same network protocols ? ... So latency? Really?

@memer said:Do you have any useful features that itch.io doesn't have, other than webhosting (assuming you offer this >outside just this offer)?

There is a misunderstood here it seems, I essentially talked about Steam (about itch.io, please read again what I typed above.Furthermore, and just in case, We are not pretending at all having the ultimate solution, and surely not compete anyone if it is what you suggested. Once again I noticed 15 websites in US + 1 in Australia, nothing in Asia, Russia, Europe, and Africa. Well maybe I did not search well and I must admit when I googlized the thing that I did not read 50 pages.
    And , excuses me if I ask, but did you read anything on the website(s) ? It is clearly indicated that it is an « attempt only ». Of course, and as it is a work in progress (we say on the main page of the forums) : « some functionalities may not be fully operational. Sorry for any inconvenience caused » (want apologies again ?, You got it...again). To be honest, my friends and I made it just for fun in about 3 months but I perfectly understand some could not be interested…But some others could.

Considering the web hosting, it is also an attempt. If it works, well, we could envisage a total integration. Because we know for sure about our hosting that it allow us to put create numerous websites + subdomain names + email boxes, It is not unlimited but we have a lot of free space and never me nor my friends will use the totality, that’s why we offer this opportunity to others.
    But, please, to close this looong post, let me bring a few precisions:
    KT11 is (bis repetita) an « attempt » only. We all have other projects running and if no one is interrested, not a big deal, we will close and make someting else (we have no lack of imagination) and in any way and for myself, this was not a waste of time as I learned a lot about web development and designing, :smile:

• memermemer Posts: 35Member

You might be right about the server locations then. (Or the US mirrors are overloaded because of lots of US users).

It's fine if you gained a lot from building your website, but this thread is meant to advertise the site, isn't it? So wouldn't you want to appeal to what makes it different from its competitors? Otherwise there isn't any for me to choose it over Itch (I won't use Steam because I don't like its platformyness and DRM).

edited September 12

@memer said:
    ...So wouldn't you want to appeal to what makes it different from its competitors?...

I don’t really know if we will make the difference, KT11 was never thought in these terms. But maybe I could give you some elements :

1. We are not submitted to any kind of a « patriot act » (v2.0?) on KT11, this to say that you will have from our part an absolute respect of your private life, we got laws about that here, and we know perfectly that some companies don’t give a d*mn about privacy – Sorry for that, I personally hate this kind of attitude under the fallacious reason of "security".
    2. A secured FTP connection, including a SSH access for those who want to host a web page.
    3. Firewall + Anti DDOS for all.
    4. A SSL certification for all web pages : So : https for all (you know ? The nice green padlock on your adress bar.)
    5. Our bandwith is unlimited, means that every uploaders and downloaders would not suffer of hosting limitations. The most often, this kind of hosting propose 500MBps max. In case of large using, it could be a problem.

Considering the projects hosting themselves, we can’t host large files for 1 upload for now (several uploads for the same projects are still possible). But a more suitable solution is on study, maybe a self-hosted server (another work in progress).
    Considering possible paid licenses works, I’m currently working on a plugin for Vanilla forums (many thanks to RJ for his help and advices ) which will allow safe and anonymous transactions between uploaders and downloaders.
    We also think about letting the uploaders managing themselves their uploads (ie : by managing and create folders from their user’s space).

@memer said:
    ....Otherwise there isn't any for me to choose it over Itch....

I’m almost sure itch.io already propose some of this features, but we need a community to exactly know what users need, the final purpose is really not to do verbatim copies of others’ work, and I personally do not know really, and in details, what itch.io propose - BTW, we never heard about this kind of websites 3 months ago when we decided to create KT11- and I don’t know what is your location but if you leave in America(s), US websites could effectively be the best solution for you, the choice remains all yours.

If you need other precisions, don’t hesitate.

P.S : It was not really advertising , it was an offer, so no commercial thoughts here.

Oh, and I really do not know what « platformyness » means, but about DRMs : I fully and totally agree :)

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 304Member
    edited September 12

@keltwookie said:
    Yes, it is exactly the thing I tried to do, and stop me if I’m wrong but itch.io is based in US, and if you live in Europe or Russia (just examples), it could take hours to upload something.

That sounds more like an ISP/throttling issue to me.

edit: for the later example with linux distro package managers, are you sure you understand how caching works? if enough people from Europe were downloading from the US servers the files would get cached by European intermediary(cache) servers(likely hosted by your own ISP's or nowadays additionally services such as cloudflare I guess) so that instead of having to fetch the data packet(s) from the US servers they can just be pulled from local ones. However since there are already EU hosts as alternatives and most people are actually downloading from them anyways no caching for those files on the US servers happens.

@Megalomaniak said:
    That sounds more like an ISP/throttling issue to me.

Yes, it could be a reason, but I seriously doubt the ISP I use is guilty.
    The latest news I have about this is that the said ISP is effectively slowing down youtube videos access. And the most often , but I could be wrong, this operation is essentially enabled for bittorrent protocols, not the case here.
    Another thing I know for sure is that the connection is slowing down between 17h to 23h30, so, I reserve the biggest operations late at night (or very early in the morning – as you wish).

@Megalomaniak said:
    edit: for the later example with linux distro managers...

Yes, even if I’m far to being the ultimate sys/net admin, I understand the main principles and It could be another reason, fully agree.
    But another example if you don’t mind : I always have issues loading US or Canadian web pages, never in Russia or Europe. Same thing for pictures hosting, we all use this kind of services. If my ISP block or slow down access to US servers, well, I can’t do much to solve the issue, except doing more tests. But curiously, I’m not the only one in this case, a few friends have the same problems and we do not use the same providers. It would mean that the most of European ISPs would do this ? Really sorry if I think it is a bit hard to believe.