About Godot 3 and C++

Joe0290Joe0290 Posts: 2Member
edited August 2017 in General Chat

I know that C# native support is coming, but is it possible to bring native C++ support as well for Godot 3?

Answers

• ZambzzZambzz Posts: 1Member

Godot is built in C++ you can already use it (be it a pain) but GDnative is what you are after; create what ever core C++ you want without having to recompile the engine (if you go that deep) and then use gdscript to throw out a call to them.

• Joe0290Joe0290 Posts: 2Member

I am new to all of this, what is the difference between GDnative and GDscript?

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 193Admin Godot Developer
    edited August 2017

@Joe0290 said:
    I am new to all of this, what is the difference between GDnative and GDscript?

GDScript is an interpreted scripting language, developed specifically for Godot. It focuses on productivity and ease of use, but it isn't very fast, which can be problematic for heavy lifting (such as procedural world generation, for example).

GDNative, on the other hand, is a way to bind various "native" programming languages to Godot, so that you can use them as game logic – this includes C++ (which will be officially supported), along with community bindings that are currently being developed (for languages like D or Nim).

You can read more details about GDNative here.