Other FOSS engines

TeddyDDTeddyDD Posts: 9Member
edited January 22 in General Chat

Hey guys!
I'd like to make a list of other Free and Open source game engines that mach following requirements:
- free as in speech
- Works on Linux, Mac and Windows (or in browser)
- it's game engine with editor (like Godot :smile: )
- it's not dead (I mean someone is maintaining is at least)

I'm not looking for alternatives to Godot, since it fits me perfectly. Godot's scene system is a most powerful abstraction I've seen in gamedev so far. I can make any kind of game I want in it, however I think it's good to take a look at other engines. We may discuss unique features or workflow of that engines and consider porting some best parts to Godot as plugins or extending engine itself. Some of this engines may have very specific purpose and that's what make them more interesting :)

• Solarus - 2d engine for creating Zelda like RPG games
  • GDevelop - it seems to be engine in style of Construct and Multimedia Fusion: uses visual programming and it's quite easy to get started
  • Scratch visual programming environment. Designed to help kids learn programming. There is also more advanced variation of Scratch called Snap
  • Catroid also known as PocketCode is similar to Scratch but it allows creating games on Android device
  • PuzzleScript - HTML5 engine for writing tile-based puzzle games
  • Atomic - looks like Unity clone
  • PX8 - open source implementation of PICO-8 fantasy console.
  • LIKO-12 yet another fantasy console
  • Superpowers - for creating 2d/3d games in HTML5.
  • Game Editor - I don't know what to say about this one. It looks pretty oldschool and cool at the same time. Just take a look
  • Blender Game Engine - built in into Blender - 3D creation suite.
  • RPGBoss - similart to RPG Maker
  • Ink - interactive narration engine with export to HTML5 and json
  • Sphere - JavaScript-based game engine & editor
  • Twine - tool for telling interactive, nonlinear stories
  • Ren'Py - visual novel engine
  • Bitsy - little editor for little HTML5 games where you can walk around and talk to people.
  • Torque 3D - 3d game engine
  • TIC-80 - open source fantasy console. Similar to Pico8 but less restrictive. Scripting in Lua, Moonscript and Javascript.
  • Playscii - ASCII art editor and game engine
  • MegaZeux - MegaZeux is a game creation system originally released in 1994 and still being developed today.

Honorable mentions

• Z Game Editor - for writing really small games under 64kb (editor is Windows only but it works under Wine and you can export games for Linux and Mac OS)
  • Construct classic - it's pretty dead and Windows only but It was nice open source engine few years ago

Have you been using any of these engines? Or maybe you found game engine that match my criteria? Please post here so we can discuss it advantages and nice features :)

Tags :

• BishopBishop Posts: 218Member
    edited June 2017

It's nice but who cares....Godot have his way-mission and we have one of the best engines on the world....and with a new renderer we get side-by-side strong dogs Unreal/Unity(but this is not the target, the target is being user-friendly great modern engine)...we are continuously keeping up....growing.....Godot have a soul!

Godot 3 will be the best MIT engine on the World!!!

.....i don't need look at another engines....that's my opinion :)

• Shin-NiLShin-NiL Posts: 134Moderator

Wave Engine is a good option for C# lovers.

• NeoDNeoD Posts: 118Member

Godot is the only game engine I know, I tried to run Torque 3D but I had so many issues then I gave up.
    The devs already takes some ideas from proprietary engines. So the proprietary engines have good ideas too.

• JandersJanders Posts: 2Member

Blender GE...? Technically it fits the criteria...

• TeddyDDTeddyDD Posts: 9Member
    edited June 2017

@Janders You are right, Blender GE fits perfectly, thank you :)
    @Shin-NiL It seems that Wawe engine is not open source.
    I'm not sure about Torqe3d but it seems that editor is Windows only.

I can agree with @Bishop that Godot rulz. That does not mean I'm not interested with what other engines have to offer. Let's take a look at PuzzleScript. It seems to be pretty easy way to write little logic games. It features simple domain specific language where you define how objects interacts witch each other. I wonder if this could be ported to Godot as easy to use plugin.

@Bishop said:
    It's nice but who cares....

Maybe I'm just weird but I love to learn new programming languages, while my favorite are Go and Python. I get better understanding of programming by writing few small programs in Scheme and Smalltalk than by writing 2kloc project in one of my favorite languages. It's just good to look around so we at least know why our favorite tool sucks (or what could be done to improve it). If this does not convince you - let me paraphrase one old Chinese dude. He said you should know your enemy ;)

• BishopBishop Posts: 218Member
    edited June 2017

Of course ,Yes, it's always interesting how other engines do well and avoid their mistakes is also very important.
    For a long time I was using Blender engine (BGE), because a simple and more complex games didn't need to write one line of Python code thanks to Game Logic nodes.
    I also tried Torque 3D but it wasn't right-enjoyable :)
    ....here are my simple games made with BGE for BGMC contests....you can find them on Blenderartists forum-Game engine section.

Crocodile Creec

and WIP Operation Weasel

• AxDSanAxDSan Posts: 1Member

Don't forget about Xenko: http://www.xenko.com/

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 464Admin

Yeah, I don't think xenko is actually open-source though. :neutral:

• keltwookiekeltwookie Posts: 125Moderator

A newcomer in open source softwares, the well known Cry Engine:

Previously for Windows users only, it is now installable on Linux distros by compiling the sources.

@keltwookie said:
    A newcomer in open source softwares, the well known Cry Engine:

Previously for Windows users only, it is now installable on Linux distros by compiling the sources.

omg...I played the original Far Cry so much back in the day.

Never played it but you could imagine (and a few articles said it) that the engine is essentially dedicated to FPSs. Having said that, a major project such as Star Citizen use it, so....

edited June 2017

The Cry engine doesn't attract me, but I notice that a modeling tool is provided with the engine.

About Star Citizen, they grab so much money that they can develop a game engine from scratch.

edited June 2017

@NeoD said:
    About Star Citizen, they grab so much money that they can develop a game engine from scratch.

So true, BTW, curious that there is still not a public beta available.

Similar to Xenko and Unreal Engine, Cryengine seems to be more shared source than open-source...

• SomnivoreSomnivore Posts: 96Member

Game Editor hasn't seen an update since 2013, I'd say it's pretty dead

Wave engine isn't open source, and they make you sign up for an account to use it (WHY), and they require you to show their logo on your game's launch screen or they'll sick the wave goonies on you, and they're really slimy about how they describe how the wave engine is free--if it's free then it's free, don't say there's "no payment upfront", what's that supposed to mean? Really bizarre Microsoft-like tactics employed here, and wouldn't you know it the Microsoft logo is on their main page and the language of choice is C#; next thing you know they'll start asking me for a phone number and trying to sign me up for their cloud service. Linux editor is really iffy too, things just don't work for some reason or another. Seems to be some sort of Unity3D clone in all. ECH!!

Personally I'm offput by any engine which only supports the development of a particular type of game. So if I decide I wanna make something that's not a top-down Zelda clone, I gotta go learn something new--or if I decide I want my game to be a little more than a Zelda clone, I gotta figure out how to use the engine for that purpose, which it obviously was never intended to do so it's more hassle than it's worth. I suppose they still count towards being game engines. I don't take RPG Maker games seriously for this very reason, they're always cookie-cutter even with graphical changes--although Yume Nikki is one such exception, but its strengths are obviously not in its gameplay. I feel like Undertale, despite being just what RPG Maker supposedly offers, was developed in Game Maker instead for just this reason: how would you make that battle system in RPG Maker? Sure RPG Maker comes with an RPG battle system, if that's what you want, but sometimes you don't want that, and straying from what the engine offers is painful. While we're on that topic: http://rpgboss.com/ for a FOSS version of RPG Maker.

I found something interesting: https://github.com/inkle/ink
    Since it allows to json export it might be used as dialogue tree editor for Godot.

• RukiriRukiri Posts: 50Member
  • Shin-NiLShin-NiL Posts: 134Moderator

Duality is Windows only, isn't it? What a pity :(

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 296Moderator

Twine and RenPy are both open source.

Both are great for taking a story and making it interactive :smile:

• hormahishormahis Posts: 2Member
    edited August 2017

There is one more project to the list of royalty free game engines, name Defold. Can be easily found in web.
    It has many interesting features and matches each criteria mentioned by the Topic Starter.
    It also has 'live' community and some events (so as jams and meetups etc.). Supports ios, android, win, linux and web deployment and scriptable with LUA.
    Just one moment about the engine - they insist your project and data files must be published to community's web server, though, yeah, it helps much with version control and team development. But still if you're standing alone it seems impossible for you to get access to your project.
    I tried some tutorials with this engine and I found it quite nice yet powerful.

• memermemer Posts: 39Member

Defold is not free as in speech, one of the criteria listed in the OP.

• RukiriRukiri Posts: 50Member

Don't see Sphere being mentioned here, now I'm talking about minisphere which has the sphere 2 api.
    Open source and cross platform, however have no idea about the graphical limitations... You should be able to do anything ps2 related (non 3d)

• BinaryOrangeBinaryOrange Posts: 145Big Boss

Panda3D - A Python-based engine. I played with this a lot back in 2010, but never got around to making anything with it. While it seems development has almost completely halted, I'm sure someone somewhere is updating it!

Stencyl is now open-source as well, but not free monetarily.

• memermemer Posts: 39Member

Stencyl is not free as in speech, so doesn't qualify for the listing. Excerpts from the EULA (personal edition):

"Licensee may not sublicense, lease, rent The Software, or any portions thereof."
    "Additional Requirements: Licensee shall not remove, obscure, or alter any proprietary rights notices (including copyright and trade mark notices) which may be affixed to or contained within The Software or works created using The Software including but not limited to games displaying the Stencyl logo before the game begins. If Licensee desires to remove, obscure, or alter such notices, Licensee shall obtain permission from Licensor."
    "Cannot create derivative works"

I am glad that the OP said "free as in speech" rather than "open source" in their criteria, because it means I do not have to argue about the semantics of "open source". For software to be "free as in speech" you need to be free to modify and distribute the software to anybody for any purpose. I have only looked at the personal (free) license, but I have no reason to think that the paid licenses are free as in speech, because it would make their business model ineffective.

Thanks for suggestions everyone :) @BinaryOrange it seems that Panda does not have editor right?
    I'm quite confused about Stencyl since on the github they use MIT license https://github.com/Stencyl/stencyl-engine
    My guess is that Stencyl core is open source while editor is proprietary.

@memer said:
    I am glad that the OP said "free as in speech" rather than "open source" in their criteria, because it means I do not have to argue about the semantics of "open source".

For me open source == free software. To be honest I prefer "open source" term since "free software" makes people think it's must be for free. I don't mind paying for software as long it's free as in speech (examples: Ardour, BPainter). I call things like Unreal "shared source". But that's just me, and I guess "free software" is unambiguous in this context :smiley:

I added Bitsy - I love this one. It's really limited and simple but people are making cool little games with it! https://itch.io/c/90743/bitsy-games

• BinaryOrangeBinaryOrange Posts: 145Big Boss

@TeddyDD , that is correct, Panda3D does not have a visual editor. Many people on those forums have created one, though none of them are included in any of the binaries or anything.

edited August 2017

@TeddyDD said:
    I call things like Unreal "shared source".

That is the proper term as coined by Microsoft when they released their own OSI certified open source licenses in addition to what they coined shared source licenses.

As for Panda3D there are as Binary Orange mentioned some standalone editors made by individual community members(lots of duplicate effort there) as well as one or two blender plugins.

• AkienAkien Posts: 73Godot Leader

I love this list, thanks for making it and curating it. My interest in free and open source software was what brought me to Godot in the first place :)

AFAIK Torque3D is FOSS, cross-platform and has an editor (or various editor components, not sure exactly), so IMO it fits in the list. Maybe also mention Torque2D, even though it's not actively maintained.

Author of TIC-80 has released the source code under MIT license. Definitely worth a try. It's less restrictive than Pico-8 but still you have to limit scope of your game - that's what fantasy consoles are about :smile:

• bassebasse Posts: 16Member

maybe not the most used... but delightfully weird.. http://vectorpoem.com/playscii/