Max Light Count

SomnivoreSomnivore Posts: 48Member
in 3D

I can't seem to find a number anywhere, but I appear to be hitting a wall with how many lights are allowed to exist at one point in time. I first noticed that my game would crash if I spawned too many mind bullets at once; some experimentation later I realized that it was crashing because each mind bullet had an omnilight attached to it, and having too many omnilights simply crashes the game back into the editor without any kind of error.

The number appears to hover a little north of 100; is this just a limitation of the engine or could there be more lights and there's something I'm just missing?

Answers

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 304Member
    Answer ✓

That should depend on the graphics card assuming fragment shading, no? For openGL fixed function pipeline I believe it's 8 lights.

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 71Admin Godot Developer
    Answer ✓

@Megalomaniak said:
    That should depend on the graphics card assuming fragment shading, no? For openGL fixed function pipeline I believe it's 8 lights.

Godot does not support fixed-function (ie. non-shader-based) rendering; you need OpenGL 2.1 or higher (and soon OpenGL 3.3 or higher, until a GLES 2.0-based renderer is re-added) to run Godot.

That said, 100 real-time lights are going to be quite taxing on the GPU, regardless of the engine, but some engines do handle this better than Godot (there's likely to be room for optimization).