Some thoughts on Godot from a complete noob

Zero2122Zero2122 Posts: 2Member

Before I touch on any of the things that I think are negative aspects of my experience so far, I would like to say that I am loving this so far. The look and feel of the Editor is great (altough it took me a while to figure how the hell to edit the layout properly) and Godot Docs has proven to be an excellent resource so far. Altough I have a fair amount of experience in modding games and I could take just about any code and figure out what is going on just enough to modify it to my liking somewhat, I am actually an extreme beginner at this. Although honstly so far Godot doesn't seem too different from using a lot of modding tools.

After going through a good deal of the Docs and tutorials, I decided that the best way for me to learn would be to start trying to make a simple game myself. Which brings me to tilesets. Surely there is a better way of creating a tileset? Yesterday and today, I have spent 90% of my time that I'm supposed to be learning, screwing around with sprites and tiles. I get a resource from the web, a png with a bunch of tiles that I then need to get into my project. Some of these resources have close to 1000 tiles on them but there seems to be absolutely no intuitive way of making them fuctional in your project. It is infuriating that I can load the entire image, see that it is clearly split into 32x32 squares and yet there is no way quick way of doing it. I have to manually create 1000 sprites, add the texture to each of them, then add the coordinates of the exact image that I want to each one, manually. At this rate, its starting to seem like my time is going to spent 80% creating tiles and sprites, and 20% actually working on my game. Its even worse when you decide afterwards to use different tiles instead. All I want to do is try to make a simple functional game but this tileset process is killing it for me big time. I found a plugin dealing with tilesets (http://godotengine.org/asset-library/asset/9) but even this is quite limited in what it is able to do. Am I just doing this wrong? Surely there has to be a better way. For 99% of these tile resources I've come across, it seems simple. The image is x amount of pixels and each tile is x amount of pixels. A simple math sum could tell you how to split the image up. And yet Godot seems to be incapable of doing so.

The other thing is the layout. I created my own layout, saved it as something unique, but every single time I load up Godot again, it has reverted to the default layout. Is there a way of setting your default layout that I'm missing? And is there a way to actually move things around or dock them?

Anyway, my biggest issue is tilesets. Hope that this kind of post is alright here. I didn't make it a Question post because I don't think that there can be a single answer to what I am saying here. I don't want to just complain either, I'm loving my experience but my experience has been halted by hours and hours after creating frikken sprites from a pre made image. It feels like it shouldn't be this annoying or time consuming. So while this isn't a question post I am going to ask a couple of questions. Any better methods of creatibng tilesets? Any way to make your layout settings stick? Any way to do more with the layout then just move things from side to side?

Comments

• NeoDNeoD Posts: 141Member

I have very few knowledge on tilemaps but about the editors layouts I found an interesting video.

• SchusterSchuster Posts: 304Member
    edited February 2017

About tilesets I think Gimp have Godot addon for that - Script-Fu: Create Sprite set from image
    It's a great addon for Gimp

• RayekRayek Posts: 21Member
    edited March 2017

Some other tileset helpers for Godot here:
    https://github.com/vinod8990/godot_plugins

One of the plugins is also compatible with Texturepacker's json format.

• boogabellyboogabelly Posts: 4Member

I changed my layout also and every time I open up Godot, I have to change it back to my layout that I saved. I don't think there's a way to save it by default to open up with your changes.