My first tries with Godot and Blender

Comments

• keltwookiekeltwookie Posts: 213Member

Hello Bishop

Well, the less I can say is that each time I ask, you provide a lot of informations. Many, many thanks for this.

2....use multimesh instance

Yes, I already saw tuts about this, and it appears one of the best solutions to save resources.
    About the other options, I have to search a bit more the pros and cons.
    But what is particularily interresting is the procedural spawning. I recently saw a video about this and in case of mining operations (yes, a feature I want to implement), it looks like it is THE solution.

edited December 2017

4th part (create a planet texture) of the Blender tutorial completed and available here

edited February 7

Another example of what is possible to do with nodes only. Yet another planet, but I'm a bit proud of this one. Indeed, the first try was... really, really ugly !

edited February 7

Like Bishop, I definitively must buy a new pc: 3 hours for rendering this (very) short animation:

For precision, It is an intro which will be added into a future flythrough and trailers for my project.

BTW, I got a question:

No promises but I would want to try to make a splash screen/short animation for the Godot Engine. To see what I mean: In all video games and films, you always have an animation about
    1. The studio
    2. The editor
    3. The production company
    etc.

So my question would be: Is there somewhere a 3D model (+ texture) of the Godot mascot available?
    Of course the final animation would be released freely to the community

Completely out of topic, but I would want to share what I just discovered while browsing Artstation.com
    It is about Mister Eddie Del Rio, concept artist at Lucasfilm. Included, some reflexions/advices about art.
    Enjoy !
    https://magazine.artstation.com/2018/02/eddie-del-rio/

edited April 22

Still experimenting with Cycles shaders, here's the latest:

I named it "Blue Alien Organic"... Indeed, not very original as tittle :)

Note: it is a strong modification of the nodes setup of the volcano planet shown above

• TrinketosTrinketos Posts: 14Member

@keltwookie said:
    Like Bishop, I definitively must buy a new pc: 3 hours for rendering this (very) short animation:

For precision, It is an intro which will be added into a future flythrough and trailers for my project.

BTW, I got a question:

No promises but I would want to try to make a splash screen/short animation for the Godot Engine. To see what I mean: In all video games and films, you always have an animation about
    1. The studio
    2. The editor
    3. The production company
    etc.

So my question would be: Is there somewhere a 3D model (+ texture) of the Godot mascot available?
    Of course the final animation would be released freely to the community

some guy made a 3D version of the logo

edited May 27

Hi Trinketos

Any link to a topic or resource?
    Found it !

The latest version of the space fighter shown earlier:

The general shape has become rounded and a little more streamlined.

I enhanced shaders for the engine panel (still a bit of work to do on the meshes )

A bit of work on the cockpit

A draft of what the player will have on the screen in cockpit view mode

• aztecsenseiaztecsensei Posts: 71Member

now thats a cool spaceship!
    :)

@aztecsensei said:
    now thats a cool spaceship!
    :)

Many, many thanks :)

Some other works in progress:

A first draft of the shuttle that will be used in a wide variety of cases, so you will often see it in the game

My first heavy combat ship, the Prometheus class battlestar:

This one will be planned to shelter some fighters and/or drones. (turrets are also a work in progress)

A space station corridor

A first container which will be used with a transport class ship:

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 784Admin

Looks great @keltwookie!

I really like the nice and sharp surfaces on the Prometheus class battlestar! Combined with the black color, it reminds me of the bat mobile from Batman :smile:

edited August 10

Many thanks @TwistedTwigleg

About the battlestar, to be honnest, my first inpiration source was the picture of an Y-wing.
    I also have to mention that all the materials shown into the post has been made with a single principle shader, except for the stained brushed steel of the container (noise texture added as factor), so more or less 5 minutes to obtain the right texture and color, even if there are still a few parameters to review (the hull of the shuttle is too bright IMO)

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 784Admin

@keltwookie said:
    About the battlestar, to be honnest, my first inpiration source was the picture of an Y-wing.

Oh! I had to search up pictures of the Y-wing (because the last time I saw anything Starwars 3-4+ years ago), and now I can definitely see some similarities! I like how you put the branching parts (wings?) of the Y-wing more in the middle as opposed to at the very back, which gives it a much more realistic look in comparison to the Starwars Y-wing (in my opinion)

also have to mention that all the materials shown into the post has been made with a single principle shader, except for the stained brushed steel of the container (noise texture added as factor), so more or less 5 minutes to obtain the right texture and color, even if there are still a few parameters to review (the hull of the shuttle is too bright IMO)

Well, for just one material, I have to say it looks really good! Even more testimony to the quality of the 3D models :smile:

edited August 11

@TwistedTwigleg said:
    ...I like how you put the branching parts (wings?) of the Y-wing more in the middle...

These branching parts are supposed to be the hangars where fighters or drones will land and take- off. Well, that’s I imagined, coding this will be another story hehe
    Curiously, I was really motivated for this model and it only took me a weekend to finish it, compared to the fighter I've been on for about two years.

About the materials, I learned a few years ago that a bad texture applied on a model can definitely ruin it, no matter how carefully it is made.

And thanks again for your comments, they goes straight to the heart, especially from an experienced game developper. :)

Prometheus turret 1 finished.

VFX (muzzle flash) + animation are in progress and I will post it here a soon they are done

Waiting the animation rendering is completed, here's a preview of the turret firing:

Here's the animation:

edited September 1

My first experience of compositing into Blender:
    The UNSF Icarus entering Isis orbit

edited September 4

The first try of the shuttle above was really ugly,I remade it:

Better isn't it?

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 927Admin
    edited September 4

hope you don't mind some constructive criticism.

On airplanes, spaceships and indeed submarines you would never use square windows(especially hard corners):

edited September 4

@Megalomaniak said:
    hope you don't mind some constructive criticism...

No absolutely not, you are right to do so.
    Very instructive, many thanks.

Well, now that I know that, I have to review all my spacecrafts (those that are able to fly in atmosphere).
    Just a quick question: How would you proceed?

Edit: I'm a little dumb, with a bit of reflection, it appears completely logical, I would have to think about it before.

edited September 4

@Megalomaniak
    I've rewotked the cockpit a bit and removed a few sharp edges.but still some bevelling to be done on the other parts:

What do you think?

I think you will find this very insightful:

edited September 5

Thanks for the video but I understand absolutely nothing, the narrator speaks much too fast (an euphemism, and English is not my mother tongue.)
    I just understood that it was about Hard Surfaces and Shrink Wrap Modifier. I'm gonna go search more information with these clues.

After watching a few videos about hard surfacing, it appears that one of the right technique is to use the subsurf modifier (I only used it once before). Here is the result:

edited September 6

OK, I see. So you have no real experience doing SubD modeling. Guess I'll have to start digging through some bookmarks.

Really good stuff from probiner:
    http://probiner.xyz/2011/02/24/catmull-clark-freeze-optimization/
    http://probiner.xyz/2013/03/18/topology-keys-interactive-shift-samplers/
    http://probiner.xyz/2010/03/03/elbows-interactive-sampler/

Just a quick few(really good) links, my bigger bookmark collection is backed up on my laptop, may need to go digging through that at some point as well.

A good page on Pixars wiki:
    http://graphics.pixar.com/opensubdiv/docs/mod_notes.html

And the page on SubD modeling at polycount wiki:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Subdivision_Surface_Modeling

edit: you will likely have a lot of questions so don't be afraid to ask away.

And another link to a blog post, it seems to be in Italian however the images should be rather self explanatory:
    https://www.treddi.com/cms/tutorials/subdivision-tips-hard-surface-modelling/510/564/

What you should already be realizing is that the study of Subdivision Surface modeling is the study of topology and where to place the control loops(especially in case of hard surface modeling).

edit2: also since it is clear that you have an active interest in hard surface modeling, if you are willing to invest a bit of money into it, I would wholeheartedly recommend this video tutorial collection/series by Gleb Alexandrov and Aidy Burrows:
    https://www.blendermarket.com/products/hard-surface-modeling-in-blender

It also includes a kit-bash set as a bonus.

edited September 7

Great links man! So many thanks ! (once again, a lot/tons/loads of informations ).

Since your first suggestions on this topic, I have of course and still, understood the usefulness of the bevel tool but avoid using it because of the possible generation of ngons and tris on a somewhat complex mesh (generally, which exceeds a cube with 6 faces :)), or, to use only on a relatively simple basis. But I probably lack practice.

Let's close the parenthesis and move on to subsurf:
    If I avoided use it until now, and stop me if I'm wrong, but it adds a lot of weight to a mesh in the final result, and, don't blame me, but I still have this old way of thinking about saving system resources, and I've just seen what it already means about the simple shuttle model I'm trying to present above. Because yes, the purpose is still to create a game, it is not to present any pseudo-artistic works (at my level), on all the « social » networks of the planet (including forums).
    Yes, you can tell me that there is still the more or less automated solution on Blender. A high poly mesh (1 million to "n" million polys), even translated into low polys (while keeping attractive modern shapes of course), will always be a problem in terms of rendering, regardless of the engine involved. So I could be wrong, but as long as you do a single mesh in a 3D scene, everything is fine in the best of worlds, but complicates the scene a little bit, and it becomes exponential in terms of system(s) consumption.
    For the same reasons, I don't want to use particles (although the feature seems to me to be very rich in possibilities).

You could tell me, at some point, I'm going to have to make choices, I can only confirm, but I want to be able to say that I've exhausted all possibilities before using these solutions, which remain, in my humble opinion and once again, far too greedy.
    An ex-developer once told me: "Even if at first you don't have much choice, it's good that you develop on an old machine, because you won't have any problems at the first releases and the distribution can be wider".
    I tend to trust her, I believe very sincerely that she knows what she's talking about.
    Indeed, and looking at the long term, I don't really see the point of releasing a game where only 8% of the machines can manage it without problems (useless to give names?)... or else, we reserve ourselves for an elite? Not my type and to be lowly venal, there are economic processes that worked in the 90s, but it's over, we'll have to make a reason (very personal opinion, of course)
    So, and to try to finish, whatever the discipline, artistic or not (I also consider, the development of games as an art in its own right), our wishes largely overestimate reality and be honest, we are all indies here, we do not have the means of large productions (AAA style)... Even if we all dream of it of course :)

@Megalomaniak said:
    you will likely have a lot of questions so don't be afraid to ask away.

Sure I will, thanks !

All this brings me to the last part:

edit2: also since it is clear that you have an active interest in hard surface modelling...

The reality is the modelling hard surfaces appeared more easy than design "biologics" for a beginner. So I effectively focused on this first.

Of course, I have already watched some of the work (the free stuff) presented by Gleb and Aidy, but sorry, the entire series does not fit, for the moment, into my budget, even if it seems little compared to the information obtained, it remains an expense that I can hardly afford for the moment, I have other priorities. But yes, let's be honest, it would be a huge source of knowledge to add.

For now, and to learn various techniques, I have referred to the various and numerous tutorials on Youtube. I learned a lot from them, but Gleb and Aidy's work would be like a cherry on a cake (even if it was underbaked) :) .

Edit:

....t seems to be in Italian however the images should be rather self explanatory:

Should be translatable with this:
    DeepL Translator

edited September 7

Majority of the text in the first half was a bit incomprehensible to me, a few points within it I think I understood.

SubD modeling became viable in late 90's so having an older system is probably no excuse to explore it. :wink: I do not expect anyone to use the hi-poly SubD mesh directly in a game though. Would indeed need to be baked to a low-poly game asset. Normally modeling is done at subdivision level 1 or 2, personally I find 2 to be the sweet spot.

@keltwookie said:

Of course, I have already watched some of the work (the free stuff) presented by Gleb and Aidy, but sorry, the entire series does not fit, for the moment, into my budget, even if it seems little compared to the information obtained, it remains an expense that I can hardly afford for the moment, I have other priorities.

it was only a recommendation it's not a requirement.

edited September 7

@Megalomaniak said:
    SubD modeling became viable in late 90's so having an older system is probably no excuse to explore it...

I did not know, so yes, you are right and I have not been precise enough on this point and apologize for it., but what about the graphic card ?
    If we consider Cycles for example (I just tried Eevee, and I wouldn't say the same thing), having the impossibility to choose GPU computing instead of CPU computing, could make the whole thing more difficult to render, am I wrong?
    And this is my case, and in the case of using a subsurf, which I also set to 2, I lack fluidity when I rotate around the mesh in the 3D viewport. So I think that logically it consumes more, am I wrong?....

it was only a recommendation it's not a requirement.

I didn't understand it like that, indeed, even if Space VFX Element deals with the subject that interests me, I'm sure I'll find another tutorial that will deal with about the same subjects at one time or another, it will just have to be adapted to a space game, it just requires, in my humble opinion, a little imagination and practical sense.