My first tries with Godot and Blender

keltwookiekeltwookie Posts: 79Member
edited November 12 in Art & Design

The first picture is a screenshot of my first scene in Godot and yes, a few things are missing: Normal maps and FXs for ship thrusters (waiting for Godot 3.0...hehe). I would add that I never found an easiest way to build a cubemap/skybox :)

A Blender rendering:

Rendered into Blender for the same reasons as above, indeed, to have a nice hologram FX, I have to use shaders, and Godot 3.0 will provide us a more modern system...if I'm not wrong of course.

Backup, comments, questions and especially advices are really welcome

Tagged:

Tags :

Comments

• KioriKiori Posts: 236Admin

Use Tags instead of title names. Makes it all clean and searchable.

• keltwookiekeltwookie Posts: 79Member

I did not notice there was a WIP tag, sorry and thanks for reminding

NP, I just added a Design and Modelling tags. Maybe modelling suits this post also(optional).

Done :)
    Off topic: THis tag system is a really very good invention. It allow users to directly find what they want without spending hours browsing forums...great !.

@keltwookie said:
    Done :)
    Off topic: THis tag system is a really very good invention. It allow users to directly find what they want without spending hours browsing forums...great !.

Yeah this was my way of adding sub categories without cluttering the forums with endless pits of clicking. :smiley:

edited November 12

A spaceship corridor:

By the way, I would recommend this page about "Index of refractions", very usefull if modelers are looking for the most realistic renderings:

http://www.pixelandpoly.com/ior.html

• phyfferphyffer Posts: 8Member

The IOR values will come in handy. Thank you ^_^

You're welcome :smile:

And if some are interrested, here are various setups for Blender Cycles materials (procedural only!), maybe some of theses could be adapted to Godot ;)
    https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?278285-Yet-Another-Thread-about-Cycles-Materials

I tried some ... impressive !

edited November 12

After ân excellent motivation to improve our modeling skills here
    A bit of work with shaders (Blender Cycles Render):

Yeah yet some work to do...

Advices welcome :)

Here are the nodes setups I used for exhausts: Blender Cycles nodes setups

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 309Member
    edited May 17

@keltwookie said:
    Advices welcome :)

Got any concept art to show us? also seeing the wire-frames would enable me to perhaps give more pertinent advice.

edited November 12

First of all, many thanks for your offer

But sorry, no concept art, I’m terrrible in drawing/painting

wireframe

solid view

edited May 17

I meant actually screenshots from the edit mode, that's whats usually called wire-frame shots irrespective of 3d modeling software. Anyways from what little I can tell from this it seems like some part of your model are very dense while others not so much, but since it's not an "organic" or deformable mesh, that might not be much of a problem.

Topology aside I do wonder why your spaceship has a tailplane? Is it like the shuttle in that it is intended to do atmospheric entry and flight? In which case the whole shape of the vehicle is kind of strange, but since it is a sci-fi vehicle I guess it might feature energy shields? :wink:

edited May 17

@Megalomaniak said:
    I meant actually screenshots from the edit mode, that's whats usually called wire-frame shots irrespective of 3d modeling software. Anyways from what little I can tell from this it seems like some part of your model are very dense while others not so much, but since it's not an "organic" or deformable mesh, that might not be much of a problem.

Ah, sorry, misunderstanding, well the model has many parts, maybe could you tell me which part you would want to see more precisely ?
    And about the density, some part are more detailed than others (ie : a panel simulating a futuristic engine). Concerning deformable mesh ? No, not planned for. Just a little animation for wings and thrusters (landings and take offs).

Topology aside I do wonder why your spaceship has a tailplane? Is it like the shuttle in that it is intended to do atmospheric entry and flight? In which case the whole shape of the vehicle is kind of strange, but since it is a sci-fi vehicle I guess it might feature energy shields? :wink:

Taiplanes, héhé, yes useless in space ,, isnt’it ? So yes, this thing is planned to land on planets … and suffer such entry (don’t know yet how to figure that out completely, just a few ideas).
    About the general shape, yes, you could have right, once again I'm far from beeing a drawer and I just acted like a baby with clay.
    And yes too, shields are planned :smiley:

edited November 12

As asked, a few edit mode views:
    After removing doubles, here is (for those who could ask) what Blender says :

Vertices : 44137
    Edges : 84815
    Faces : 40730
    Triangles + ngons : 80954
    For this latest one, I reduced a lot their numbers as everyone discourage the use of them, but this shape being a rigid body, I think I can allow a few sharp edges.
    …And not less than 39 materials. Will be reduced during texture baking operations :wink:

Here’s the wireframe view with seams and sharp marks
    http://www.heberger-image.fr/data/images/64095_strmbrngr.shrps.sms.vew.png

Nude:

Yes, some areas appears are more dense than others, here’s an example to explain why.
    The engine panel I talked above (not finnished yet), wireframe view:

The rendering:

…. I just realized that this topic slides slowly but surely to a work log :smiley: ….

edited May 19

Looking quickly through blenderartists.org WIP forum I picked a thread as an example of how people usually show wireframes: As you can see ctdabomb is showing images of solid meshes with wireframe overlay's. In this case I think they are renders rather than screenshots however just edit-mode with solid shading would be sufficient, really. Here's another post from a different thread where just edit mode is used.

Another thing you can see from there is that the Stingray's body shows plenty of triangles and n-gons. If you place them/leave them in spots where they subdivide fine on hard-surface models you can get away with them fine, especially since with a sub-d modifier they all get turned into quads anyways. Some people make a big deal out of it but honestly if you place them carefully you can get away with leaving some triangles and n-gons even into organic models such as humans for an example, again remember that the sub-d modifier quadifies everything in the end anyways.

Another thing I'd make note of is that if you are doing sub-d modeling try not to place in any excessive geometry you don't need, especially early on. The cleaner you leave your cage the easier it is to edit and modify, hence why I took note of the density difference throughout the mesh.

edited November 12

Really sorry, you mean this?

And about what you said, here’s some points I will take great care in the future, many thanks. :smile:

• BishopBishop Posts: 186Member

Nice works,great design....more detailed (small)parts of the ship should be separated from the main part of the ship and in Godot setups for them LOD....also try offset edge slide and bevel edges on some parts...this is in the hardsurfacing very useful.

.....ahh and for screens wires you don't have must be in edit mode

edited May 20

Hi Bishop,
    Many thanks for your backup. To make it short, let's say this is the first model I build from scratch, so I try to take care of it :)

....more detailed (small)parts of the ship should be separated from the main part of the ship and in Godot setups for them LOD....

Really interresting, could you give more details about this please (and yes, we already talked about LODs), because, I feared the LOD could be really different once the mesh would be " game ready ",

....also try offset edge slide

Really sorry, I don’t understand (English is not my mother tongue and GG translate only returns stupidities)

.....and bevel edges on some parts...this is in the hardsurfacing very useful.

Well, I’m not easy with the bevel tool, i already made some tries but it was a pure disaster. But it is a good reason to practice. Without wanting to abuse of your time, could you show me where you think a bevel operation could be necessary ?

And thanks for the tip, this will be usefull

EDIT : Subsidiary noob question : Actually side thrusters and wings are planned to rotate duringf landings/takeoffs (will post an animation draft asap), what could be the best choice for nodes+scripting in Godot : KinematicBody, or RigidBody and why?

Hi keltwookie,
    I start with a last question, so.. thrusters and wings I would go for KinematicBody - because they don't need to use physics (as children) attached to the main body of the spaceship.
    and the main body would be the RigidBody to have access to physics and forces.
    ....therefore, it is necessary to separate thrusters and the movable wings from the main ship body and set them right rotations origins....you can animate directly in Godot.

edited May 21

continue...What about the development of spaceship model for games....we have a few options to choose from - you can use blueprints or classic concept drawing so-called model sheet+ reference images or a sculpting model for example in Blender...not too detailed (according what is powerful pc is :).....the advantage of this method is that you can create more creatively ) concept model and then create a lowpoly model - retopology or use Grease pencil to draw lowpoly wire directly on the sculpt( you can combine this - sketch correct mesh topology-very helpful and retopology the same time )....I will show for you in the next....we will create ship from base structure sculpt concept and then we add more details to the ship.

The ship....

.....i hope you don't mind that I put so many posts here to your thread
    if you follow the right mesh topology flow from the first models...you then never create a bad model in
    the future.

Bevel and Offset Edge Slide....

.....With bevel and offset edge slide you can add more details to your model..do grooves, etc.

Wow, an enormous mass of information here, on which I must meditate.

.....i hope you don't mind that I put so many posts here to your thread

>
    A-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y not ! You are more than welcome

To paraphrase what I have read on Q&A (If I remember correctly): “Beginners must be taken by the hand and treated like babies.” Babies, not exactly, but as uneducated people, surely.
    And you exactly did the right thing IMHO (maybe the beginning of a new 3D tut? ;) ), so, please, don’t hesitate a single second to share your knowledge :smile:

if you follow the right mesh topology flow from the first models...you then never create a bad model in
    the future.

@Megalomaniak
    @Bishop

This topic become a wonderfull source of information about modelling and one of the bests explanations I saw here
    I sincerelly would want to thanks both of you for your time and patience.

edited May 22

archived subdivisionmodeling.com mesh topology thread.

It's a little too focused on making all-quads but it's worth a see-through. Kind of a shame that forum died, it was a pretty good place bringing subD modelers from different software packages together.

edited May 22

Hello,
    Thank you very much keltwookie, I'm glad I can help
    About a 3d tutorial I have a plan to create something great so that will appear in the Tutorial section
    soon.
    @Megalomaniak Yes, I read that this forum(subdivisionmodeling.com) was heavy attacked by spammers...well, interesting forum...it is a pity
    ....there is also enough information to education - my favorite polycount
    wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Subdivision_Surface_Modeling

• WigatronWigatron Posts: 9Member

Great work, your models look fantastic!

edited December 4

Many thanks

These pictures are Blender renderings, because honnestly, I’m focusing on my assets until I have enough to start working efficiently with Godot. Indeed, I’m completely unable to start coding, (less than 20 lines of code until now) before having a full environment in front of my eyes,
    And currently, I got a new hobby : Shaders. Yes, after a conversation about procedural texturing here, I decided to get rid of pictures as much as possible.
    Here are some results :

And if some are interrested, I started to write Blender tutorials for beginners about this topic :

Create a full space environment with shaders (procedural)

And yes, I plan to do the same for Godot. Well, once I learned how to do it, of course :)

Amazing works!....thanks for this tutorials....keep up

Many thanks Bishop

I forgot to add that there are downloadable PDF version available on the website (ENG + FR).

And BTW, I would want to ask :
    I want to create asteroid fields, modeling an asteroid is not a problem, but do you now if there is a way to avoid the use of particles to create the said field. Same thing for hairs for characters.
    I noticed myself that particles use a lot of resources to be rendered on Blender. Do you know if it is the same problem for Godot ?

edited December 9

Hello,
    Thanks for pdf versions
    About asteroid fields there is a several options....#1....use group of meshes (asteroids ) or mesh planes with billboard
    #2....use multimesh instance
    #3....use grid map
    #4....and of course particles
    use LOD for them whenever possible.....you can create never ending asteroids fields all species with procedural spawning
    about hairs you can use rather many planes with texture....look at Naughty Dog's The Last of us characters heads or visit
    Polycount forum.
    Yes, heavy particles are always resource hungry and in the real-time this is even more true :)