Auto smiley after : is killing me

TcheyTchey Posts: 52Member

Hello,

It seems there is an auto-add function for smilies, whenever i use this dots : they show up in an annoying popup, and if i'm not carefull hitting space, here is the unwanted face.

Is there an option i didn't see, to kill them forever ?

Comments

• KioriKiori Posts: 236Admin

There isn't one.
    It's because it's just how the system works. smileys are ":" followed by a word like ':'wink':'.
    In fact that's how you get a list of them you type : and any word after it and the pop-ups will be there to help.

If you go to the "how to use the forum" post it says:

"The smiley button holds only a small list of smiley, in order to see all smileys type " : " then type a letter like s, and a list will pop-up with available smileys that relate to that, almost every letter calls new smileys and the + sign calls this one :+1: ."

This is just how the forum works internally.
    But the popup doesn't force you to select one, only if you press enter after : and the word.

You know, maybe, as in not likely but who knows.
    There might be a way to make this, something that users can disable on a per user basis. But you will lose complex smileys like :rage: :grey_question: :warning: :trollface: :joy: , etc. most of them. In truth smileys were originally, a ":" or ";" followed by something so it's in their dna. :tongue:

If you think this is really important usability wise let me know, and I'll keep it around. When I can, I'll see if there is anything that can be done.

• TcheyTchey Posts: 52Member

I myself never use them, nowhere, so if there is an option per user to stop them, i'm in !

Also, i don't know if you noticed but if you add the ":" right after a word like 'this:' 'here:'
    It doesn't come out with the pop-up, only when there is a space before the ":".

• TcheyTchey Posts: 52Member

In many non english languages, included my french one, the rule is to have a space before and after all double dots signs like ; : ! etc,. I know this is an english forum and i should adapt, but it's not easy to manage this kind of habits ! Whatever, it's not a big deal, if an option is possible, fine, if not, i may not die like i first said.

edited October 2016

Yeah indeed, habits are a good thing in many ways.
    And don't worry, if there is a way to do this properly(having per user options of the pop-up), I'll find it.