Fur shading demo

yoannyoann Posts: 27Member
edited September 2016 in Resources
I've published a demo example of Fur Shading.
Source code available here :
https://github.com/SuperUserNameMan/GodotFurShaderDemo

More screenshots of what it can be used for :
http://imgur.com/a/ZKcCE

Tags :

Comments

• quickmind2020quickmind2020 Posts: 27Member
    Interesting... how is it on performance though?
  • MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 303Member
    now if you create a furmark style benchmark for testing the renderer performance out of this I do wonder if this wouldn't be useful for the devs. :)
  • yoannyoann Posts: 27Member
    edited September 2016
    Interesting... how is it on performance though?
    Indeed, the more the fur has layers and the more complex is the geometry, the slower it will render.

But you can reduce the number of fur layers as well as the geometry complexity according to distance from camera (LoD) using GeometryInstance.set_draw_range_begin() and .set_draw_range_end().

As I dev my project on what I consider as a "middle-low-end" laptop (AMD APU A6-6310 with integrated Radeon R4), it forces me to work harder on optimization to keep the framerate between 30 and 60Hz. So, in the end, my final project should be playable on most computers.

now if you create a furmark style benchmark for testing the renderer performance out of this I do wonder if this wouldn't be useful for the devs. :)
    I've just found that furmark exists for real lol
    Maybe, if its enough for such a benchmark, duplicating the fury-godot-icon while displaying the framerate could make it ?

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 303Member
    edited September 2016
    yoann said:
    Megalomaniak said:
    I've just found that furmark exists for real lol
    Maybe, if its enough for such a benchmark, duplicating the fury-godot-icon while displaying the framerate could make it ?
    Maybe, may well be - as long as they don't block each other(one rendered in front of the other).
  • yoannyoann Posts: 27Member
    I've updated the demo to draw a fury sphere next to the the fury icon.
    It also displays a FPS counter.
  • KiwiColoredHorrorKiwiColoredHorror Posts: 5Member
    edited December 2016

Thumbs up for putting it in the Asset Library!