Are there any plans for Large World support with Godot?

HeadClotHeadClot Posts: 2Member
Hey everyone,
I am working on smallish 2.5D project to get my bearings with this awesome engine before diving into to my main project. That said are there any plans for Large World Support for Godot after the 3.0 Update?

By large world support I mean the ability to re base the origin of the world to another level when you get far away from the center of the world. I am coming from Unreal so this feature is critical for my main project.

Just curious,
HeadClot

Answers

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 389Member
    edited August 2016
    The more I have been thinking about it the less of a problem I see with creating something like Skyrim in the sense of the scale of an open world sandbox game with godot as it is. Just the asset creation would be time consuming. Just a matter of putting the work into it IMO.

Just to be clear: that would be a lot of work though - no way around that.
  • HeadClotHeadClot Posts: 2Member
    edited August 2016
    The more I have been thinking about it the less of a problem I see with creating something like Skyrim in the sense of the scale of an open world sandbox game with godot as it is. Just the asset creation would be time consuming. Just a matter of putting the work into it IMO.

Just to be clear: that would be a lot of work though - no way around that.

I guess I should clarify. I have no intention of making a massive 3D first or third person game akin to skyrim or fallout although I do plan on using the 3D rendering engine for thing such as ships, stars, planets, etc. Just because it is more flexible for me. I guess I should also point out that I am making a top down 4x game.

That said - I do not want to know what I cannot do. I get that enough and I assume others do as well. I want to know what I can do with this engine.

So I guess I should close this up with - Are there plans for large world support in godot engine? Yes? No? Maybe?

If it is already in how do I access it?
  • SamSam Posts: 13Member
    Answer ✓
    I think there are various ways of doing it. You can probably adjust the level of details, or have different screens. For instance a "galaxy" screen which allows you to choose a galaxy sector and then down to the star system. It depends on the level of details you want. Do you want to represent planets ? Or only stars which then open a menu ?

And about the rebase thing, I'm not sure if I understand correctly but I suppose it's done in order to avoid error due to floats. It's "maybe" doable in godot, or you can hide it with a loading screen.
  • ZylannZylann Posts: 16Member
    Interesting this question ends up in 3D section, because large worlds is doable in 2D with same techniques.

A general solution to handle seamless very large worlds is to chunk them and stream them from memory/disk. Typical example: Minecraft.
    I'm concerned about this as well because I worked on a terrain plugin and try to figure out how to handle giant landscapes, planets, things like that, without having the whole universe loaded in the scene tree at once.

First unconvenient thing is, you cannot put the world into one scene anymore, or at least you only place parts of it.
    You cannot put it into multiple scenes either because of boundary issues.
    So that means, the editor should be chunked and streamed too, otherwise your PC will explode when you load the world.

LOD is very important too (especially for seamless landscapes, Godot's LOD system wouldn't work!), but for a top-down 4x maybe it doesn't matters because the distances don't change that much before stuff go off screen.

I don't think Godot handles all that natively, that's just a different way to use the engine. I'm thinking about this topic for a very long time, and maybe one day I'll manage to find a generic enough design to implement it as a module/plugin :p
  • 1000h1000h Posts: 127Member
    I saw a class called PlaceHolder which might be useful for this
  • knightmbknightmb Posts: 6Member
    I wasn't able to find this info on the site either, what are the technical maximums for the 3d world in Godot? I would assume the coordinate system represents that? Is it bigger in 64 bit then 32 bit for example?