Assets from FPS Creator Classic

GokudomaticGokudomatic Posts: 70Member
edited August 2016 in Resources
TheGameCreators released as open source their old product FPS Creator Classic, including lot of assets. But does someone know if those assets are free to be reused in projects that have nothing to do with their software? There's not even a license with it. Is it, like, public domain? If it's the case, that would be great for us Godot users. There are lot and lot of textures and meshes in there.

In any case, the github page is : https://github.com/LeeBamberTGC/FPS-Creator-Classic

The assets are in DirectX .x and .dds format, but with imagemagick, lithunwrap and blender, they can somehow be converted to collada.
Tagged:

Tags :

Comments

• BinaryOrangeBinaryOrange Posts: 108Big Boss
    Ah, another previous TGC user. I was Yodaman Jer on the forums over there. <br /><br />Anyway, I can't seem to find any information on whether or not it's public domain. I would suggest contacting Lee Bamber directly, and see what he has to say. <br /><br />My thinking is that since it was a product you have to purchase, it's probably not up for grabs for everyone to use, but Lee may have other ideas. <br /><br />
  • GokudomaticGokudomatic Posts: 70Member
    Actually I never used TGC. I never even installed it (being under linux). I just discovered it yesterday when I was searching for open source FPS assets.<br /><br />However thanks for the advice. Someone on Unity replied to a similar question, and his opinion was that since the official website said the assets are not under any license nor restriction, it is allowed to be used in projects unrelated to TGC. But it's indeed safer to ask first.
  • MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 303Member
    on 1462171495:
    Someone on Unity replied to a similar question, and his opinion was that since the official website said the assets are not under any license nor restriction, it is allowed to be used in projects unrelated to TGC. But it's indeed safer to ask first.<br />
    <br /><br />Without divulging into great detail(since I am NOT a lawyer) the way I understand copyright to essentially work means, that unless there's a license that specifically states the conditions under which the assets can be used you should ask the copyright owner directly(and indeed in written form), otherwise you might find at any moment the copyright owner asking for you to pay royalties(and rightfully so) or cease and desist from using the assets any further.<br /><br />That is to say, the website might say it's ok to use the assets for free right now but the copyright owner is in hes/her full right to change his/her mind. I do expect that notice of such change would be required first before you'd get into any serious trouble. <br /><br />Also, since no license has been included with the source of the FPS  Creator Classic, I wouldn't consider it open source just yet. At best it's just 'shared-source' as of right now, where you can look at the code, but you are not free to really use it in any way you see fit. You would still have to ask for permission to use it in a specific way.<br /><br />I suspect they just haven't decided yet what license fits them best though, so it might well be worth regularly checking back on it.
    What Megalomaniak says has merit. And knowing TGC, they very well may change all of that in the future, so I would avoid using the media for now, until such a time as they state explicitly that it can be used entirely for free.<br /><br />There's a reason I don't use their products anymore however, they ignore you and then backtrack on promises for their products. I was an avid DarkBASIC Pro programmer about 5 years ago, and then they up and discontinued the product because they wanted to "shift focus" to mobile development with App Game Kit. Then sometime last year they supposedly open-sourced DarkBASIC Pro, but people have had trouble with it, so I didn't even bother with trying it. Godot is much better, IMHO, and there are certainly better places for media.<br /><br />Anyway, I wouldn't lose all hope because Lee Bamber does actually respond to emails you send him, so I'm sure you'll at least get something from him. Be sure to save the email for proof if he says it can be used for free and then changes his mind later, though!
    Thanks, BinaryOrange. Even if I don't use those assets, it always worths to clarify his stand about this subject.<br /><br />Edit: when you say there are other places to find free assets, what do you have in mind? I've only seen sketchfab and blendswap, and eventually deviantart, which need still more or less work afterward, especially if they're high resolution meshes. And of course not all of them are permitted to be reused.<br />Just to say, my project is non commercial and open source, and I don't want to include paid or proprietary assets in it. And of course not stolen stuff.
  • AkienAkien Posts: 75Godot Leader
    on 1462192876:
    <br />Edit: when you say there are other places to find free assets, what do you have in mind? I've only seen sketchfab and blendswap, and eventually deviantart, which need still more or less work afterward, especially if they're high resolution meshes. And of course not all of them are permitted to be reused.<br />Just to say, my project is non commercial and open source, and I don't want to include paid or proprietary assets in it. And of course not stolen stuff.<br />
    <br />Check OpenGameArt. If it doesn't have all the assets you need, I'm pretty sure it has the relevant forum topics to link other asset sources to complete its database.
    OpenGameArt is a good resource, I have used it for inspiration in the past!<br /><br />Otherwise, finding good free assets can be very difficult, and as a result I usually don't use anything I search for, other than for inspiration for my own assets. <br /><br />If you're looking for 3D, however, there's many low-cost places such as turbosquid that I would recommend. I know it's not free but sometimes you can find great things on there for less than $5!
    Oh, that's right, I forgot OpenGameArt. I searched through all its resources once. I didn't think to visit the forum.<br /><br />Anyway, I got a reply from Lee Bamber. I asked:<br />
    Hello Lee,<br /><br />I saw your repository in GitHub about an open-sourced version of the FPS Creator Classic. And in the readme you included links to multiple Asset packs free to use, even for commercial games. I thank you for contributing to the open source world like that. However I cannot find the license or a small explanation of the conditions of use of those files. I have particularly one question: are those assets, for instance textures of the Space Derelict pack, free to be used in a project that does not use the FPS Creator? Also, are we allowed to modify those assets, like converting the .dds textures in .png or the .x mesh in collada? I'd like to know that before I do anything with your files. My game project is not commercial (it's open source too) but I want to use legal resources only.<br /><br />Thank you in advance for your reply.<br /><br />Best regards
    <br />And he replied:<br />
    <br />Hi,<br /><br />We could not pin down a single license that covered the files. Basically, you can use the assets to make games with, in whatever tool you want to use, but you cannot make a 'game maker' from them, nor can you put them all in an asset pack and sell them as a collection.  This ensures we don't have our own assets competing against TGC in the future :)  Sounds like your particular project is absolutely fine, have fun with the assets and yes you can convert them to your preferred format.<br /><br />Best Regards,<br />Lee.
    <br />That means that, as long as we don't make special asset packs for godot from those packs and sell them, he seems to be alright with us using and modifying them. I would feel wrong anyway to resell or redistribute their own free work for a different engine (godot in our case). Therefore I only convert and import what I need in my game.<br />Yet, they still don't know which license they will use. Better stay careful.
    Right, from he's answer it sure sounds like a custom EULA/copyright applies.<br /><br />You can feel reasonably safe however, you have in effect written permission, cheers.
  • AkienAkien Posts: 75Godot Leader
    Personally I wouldn't use resources that don't have a free/libre license when making a libre game. I.e. CC BY, CC BY-SA, CC0 are good licenses for artwork, while CC-*-NC (non commercial) and CC-*-ND (no derivatives) are too restrictive for my taste (and considered non-free). Artwork with a custom EULA which is only derived from an email exchange is clearly restrictive, so I would steer clear from it.<br /><br />But then, I just like to do things right license-wise; there are many commercial games that don't care and use such artwork under EULA without second though, and usually don't get issues either. For open source I have higher "purity" standards :D
  • NeoDNeoD Posts: 86Member
    Have you tried this search engine ? It might be useful for non-commercial projects or prototyping.<br /><br />https://www.yobi3d.com/#!/
    edited December 2016
    > @NeoD said:
    > Have you tried this search engine ? It might be useful for non-commercial projects or prototyping.
    >
    Be wary though, use too many of such and you will forget what was what, and which to swap out later on...