Stick Race!

PCMXMSPCMXMS Posts: 67Member
edited September 2016 in Projects
Hello there,

I'm currently developing Stick Race!: A 2d time-trial platformer.

The game is about helping Stick Jack to get home safe and sound. The only thing you can do is jumping and warping, so the basic gameplay is very easy to learn.

Currently, the game is about 30% complete. My goal is to finish it until July this year. I will probably use many elements from this game to make another one.

Here is the game's page where you can download the current version (LINUX, WIN, MAC):

https://nonamefornow.itch.io/stick-race

The current version has 3 races with a total of 12 courses. They are very challenging at first, but after you get the hang of the controls, things get really easy.

Please let me know your thoughts!

A little bit more about "Nonamefornowsoft":

I'm actually a professor of physics who happens to love games. My childhood dream is to make a videogame, so here I am. Nonamefornowsoft is basically myself doing games in my spare time.

Tags :

Comments

• BishopBishop Posts: 132Member
    Hi,graphics would like to improve.
    ....try Inkscape-vector graphics program-http://www.inkscape.org/en/
    ....there you don't have to draw freehand.
    and very usefull for characters/animated sprite assets Image Packer-
    http://www.nutty.ca/?cat=9&paged=2
  • PCMXMSPCMXMS Posts: 67Member
    Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, there is no way at the moment I will change the graphics. The reason is: I cannot follow any art direction because I don't know how to do it.

As I am the one who is doing every single thing here, learning art is not the case. Paying someone to do it might be something for the future though.

Also, I am kind of liking the style already. At first I was really concerned about the game looking awful (which is true, by the way), but now I think this is kind of a characteristic of it. Weird but true.
    Added the ability to turn while jumping, after a lot of complains.
    ... as a consequence to that, more creative levels are possible

• toger5toger5 Posts: 40Member
    It's a cool project.
    I agree that the art style is not beautiful compared to sth. like trine Wink but it still fits. And games which are having the word "stick" in there name aren't famous for their art Wink
    So i think you can stay with that without decreasing the quality a lot. (personally i like it, the face of your character is funny)
    But maybe you can try staying with a limited color palette. If art Is not your world you can google a set of colors or use a tool that creates you a collection. (I think that the yellow of the exit doesn't fit...)
    But of course this is all beased on personal preferences and if you Thought about the colors and like them how they are just leave it. as I said I already like the characteristic look.

How did you create the map itself (doesn't seemed to be based on a tilemap)?
  • MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 227Member
    Clearly this is going for atari-esque second-gen graphics, so I can't really understand the complaints at all. Now the real question is will it be released for a diy rapberry-pi based console(bonus points if it's housed in an old atari chassis)? Grin
    It's a cool project.
    Thanks! Smiley
    I agree that the art style is not beautiful compared to sth. like trine Wink but it still fits. And games which are having the word "stick" in there name aren't famous for their art Wink
    So i think you can stay with that without decreasing the quality a lot. (personally i like it, the face of your character is funny)
    But maybe you can try staying with a limited color palette. If art Is not your world you can google a set of colors or use a tool that creates you a collection. (I think that the yellow of the exit doesn't fit...)
    But of course this is all beased on personal preferences and if you Thought about the colors and like them how they are just leave it. as I said I already like the characteristic look.
    Someone else already mentioned that a limited pallet would do a difference. I might consider that if there is this program that build it for me Tongue
    How did you create the map itself (doesn't seemed to be based on a tilemap)?
    The map is a mix of tiles and objects (scenes). The brown thing (floor) is the tilemap. The fun, spikes, that rotating thing, the yellow door are scenes.

Clearly this is going for atari-esque second-gen graphics, so I can't really understand the complaints at all. Now the real question is will it be released for a diy rapberry-pi based console(bonus points if it's housed in an old atari chassis)? Grin
    About the art, I couldn't agree more. Although I agree that a consistent pallet might do a change for the better.

I will figure out what a raspberry pi is and see what I can do. haha

Thanks for the comments!
    sorry, should have made the rasp-pi bit also a link, they are just so popular nowadays amongst geeks I tend to expect people to know. Undecided

https://www.raspberrypi.org/
    Changed the art a little bit (as suggested) and added some other things (record is improved, instructions). The game, as it is now, is close to it's final form. The only thing now is work on level design.

Have a look and let me know your thoughts.

https://nonamefornow.itch.io/stick-race;
    404 not found. Sad
    removing the trailing stuff from the link fixed it though.

https://nonamefornow.itch.io/stick-race;
    404 not found. Sad
    removing the trailing stuff from the link fixed it though.
    There is this strange %0FF after the link. Don't recall putting that there, but let me fix it:

I saw a video of super meatboy today and realised that my game has some things in commun. It was absolutely not intentional. I've never played smb. (
    Should i be worried? I'm a bit disapointed with miself now.
  • deldel Posts: 21Member
    I saw a video of super meatboy today and realised that my game has some things in commun. It was absolutely not intentional. I've never played smb. (
    Nah, don't be disapointed! This happens all the time.  Smiley SuperMeatBoy was the first thing, that came to my mind, as i saw your screenshots, although I've only seen it on video. But your game is unique because you made it and now, that you're aware of smb, you can compare it to your game and emphasis the differences.
    Everything we do is a remix, even if we don't know the source.  Cheesy Watch this!
    Nah, don't be disapointed! This happens all the time.  Smiley SuperMeatBoy was the first thing, that came to my mind, as i saw your screenshots, although I've only seen it on video. But your game is unique because you made it and now, that you're aware of smb, you can compare it to your game and emphasis the differences.
    Everything we do is a remix, even if we don't know the source.  Cheesy Watch this!
    Thanks for the heads up. I will focus on the differences in my next video or gifs. After playing a little bit more of my game and watching SMB I realised that, apart from one thing or another like spikes and funs, the real similarity is the rage, so I think it is going to be fine after all.
    Cheers!
  • BishopBishop Posts: 132Member
    Hi, as toger5 said, the art style fits into the overall game, art is an individual.I think gameplay is on the first place for that style of games.
    Nice work,keep up!
    I think the art is fine too. Also your animations are smooth, that makes it fun to look at.
    But I couldn't play it yet, could you please make a windows 32 bit version? Cheesy
  • PlanetKillerPlanetKiller Posts: 24Member
    It looks good, but I'd rather not have that much adrenaline in my veins today. I might check it out later though.
    Thanks for all the positive comments and (constructive) criticism. It helps me keep it up!  Cheesy
    I think the art is fine too. Also your animations are smooth, that makes it fun to look at.
    But I couldn't play it yet, could you please make a windows 32 bit version? Cheesy
    No problem. I have just uploaded 32 bits version for Windows and Linux. Enjoy! Smiley

Thank you! I will test it tomorrow. Cheesy

Lol... I'm very happy to see that it is absolutely possible to finish race 1 without dieing.  G:

Though it is difficult as hell, it is not unfair.
    Though it is difficult as hell, it is not unfair.
    "Ain't nothing unfair in video game difficulty" - every serious gamer ever?
    Damn that's hard! But i really like it and the puzzles are awesome!
    I think I found a small bug right after the start in race 1-2. I got stuck at this position a couple of times:

I was flying up and down, but couldn't move to any side.
    Damn that's hard! But i really like it and the puzzles are awesome!
    I think I found a small bug right after the start in race 1-2. I got stuck at this position a couple of times:

I was flying up and down, but couldn't move to any side.
    I see! That would not be a bug. More like a level design flaw. I'm gonna see what to do to "fix it". Thanks for the heads up! Cheesy

Oh, and BTW, whenever you get stuck like that, you may press E or X to warp Wink
    When people say "improve graphics! The background is so empty!", do they mean this:

Grin
    Last post today. I promise.  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Improved music and gameplay elements:

Uploaded a new version with several changes. Link on the signature

Uploaded the final free version. Now, i want to
    - build at least 68 more courses
    - milestones
    - a few cutscenes
    - change the graphics a little bit
    Nice, I really love that bar, it just looks very fitting. The art style has definitely grown into its own unique thing, consistent within itself(and trust me that generally tends to be the most important thing). Internal consistency sells the game universe, makes it believable internally within its own confines. I think you have achieved that. It works.
    Nice, I really love that bar, it just looks very fitting. The art style has definitely grown into its own unique thing, consistent within itself(and trust me that generally tends to be the most important thing). Internal consistency sells the game universe, makes it believable internally within its own confines. I think you have achieved that. It works.
    Thanks, Megalomaniak, but I still feel that there is a slight problem with the consistency of the graphics. I made a test here:

Isn't that better?